Windows at risk from fancy cursors

Humpty

The vulnerability affects all recent Windows versions, including Vista, which Microsoft has promoted heavily for its security. The operating system software is flawed in the way it handles animated cursors, Microsoft said in a security advisory.

An attacker could exploit the vulnerability through a web page or email message with rigged computer code, it said.

The software behemoth said in its advisory: "Upon viewing a web page, previewing or reading a specially crafted message, or opening a specially crafted email attachment, the attacker could cause the affected system to execute code."

Such holes are often exploited by cyber crooks to do "drive-by" installations of malicious software. Spyware and remote control tools that turn PCs into drones for the attacker are silently loaded onto vulnerable computers by tricking people to visit a rigged website or hacking a trust

Article

I read that UAC and IE7 protected mode in Vista stops this problem. If you're in XP/2000, Cnet recommends using either Firefox or Opera until a patch is released since it is not affected by this problem.

I'm also thinking that tightening IE7 settings in XP could stop it too. All the antivirus vendors have the trojan downloader in their signatures by now.

• Moderators
MS patch released today. KB925902.

On my system it wouldn't install correct via Automatic Updates or Microsoft Update, and after trying at least three times in a row I ended up having to manually download and install it from here.