Microsoft: OneCare should not have been rolled out

Humpty

Microsoft has said that its OneCare security suite has "a problem" with the underlying antivirus code, and admitted that security is just "a little part of Microsoft".

Speaking to ZDNet UK exclusively at the CeBIT show in Hanover, a senior manager for the software giant said that its consumer security product is far from perfect and that pieces are actually "missing".

OneCare has been dogged by controversy since its launch last May. Signs that the software was not up to scratch came earlier this month when OneCare failed to achieve certification in an independent test of security products. Shortly before that, it emerged that the product did not sufficiently protect users of Microsoft's Vista operating system against malware.

Article

they were really pushing me to buy this product when i got my laptop-nadda. it didnt look good at all to me. so much freeware out there that does a better job, i dont know why anyone would pay for antivirus/antispyware products at all.

• Moderators
i dont know why anyone would pay for antivirus/antispyware products at all.

I think all people are really getting out of payware anti-apps is support via the company from either email, or phone.

Other than that with the freeware products someone can go to just about any forum that has a software discussion area for help from other users, and in some cases I suspect they'll get help faster that way.

. . .is far from perfect and that pieces are actually "missing".

Bet he doesn't get on TV again.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.