Cookies

Chevygal

I am a new user of CCleaner & still learning with Spybot. My question is, after I select the cookies to keep in CCleaner, do I need to also save them in Spybot? I also use ATF cleaner & IE6 options occasionally. Do all these products find the same cookies or is this overkill?

Yes they will see the same files,

If you have multiple cleaners they will remove anything not in their safe list so make sure you set all cookie cleaners to ignore your specified cookies.

fireryone

Yes they will see the same files,

If you have multiple cleaners they will remove anything not in their safe list so make sure you set all cookie cleaners to ignore your specified cookies.

I find this interesting as I have spybot,and the only place I have certain cookies to be ignored is in CCleaner .

They have never been wiped out by any other cleaner.

Thanks for confirming the cookie deletion for me. I asked because I usually don't use Spybot & CCleaner on the same day. I will make it a point to visit the sites where I want to save the cookie & then run both of them.

AFAIK Spybot S&D doesn't clean nothing at all, cause it is not a disk cleaner.

Spybot is an anti spyware-malaware software. It doesn't delete any cookie and

any other file, unless they are judged dangerous or malicious (eg. tracking cookies)

:)

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

I am looking at Spybot/Mode Advanced/Settings/Ignore Cookies. I have cookies listed there from sites that I have visited earlier today including this forum. I have put the green check mark next to cookies I want to keep in Spybot & also in CCleaner. I will try to stop the habit of doing a quick deletion of cookies in IE6 options. I just want to add that I found the beginner's guide & forum a great help in learning CCleaner. Also, I like picking my own options till I learn more about each option.

AFAIK Spybot S&D doesn't clean nothing at all, cause it is not a disk cleaner.

Spybot is an anti spyware-malaware software. It doesn't delete any cookie and

any other file

It seems it does, though I'm not sure if its on by default (I've used Spybot for years and never really noticed this setting). If you look in Settings>File sets, at the bottom is a tick box for 'Usage tracks'. If ticked this will clean all cookies except those excluded as Chevygal pointed out (in Settings>Ignore Cookies). These 'usage tracks' will show up in the Spybot scan results as green entries.

To answer Chevygals original question, yes they all find the same cookies and yes it is kinda overkill using three different methods of cleaning them. I would suggest turning off Spybots usage track cleaning and just let CCleaner handle the cookies. If nothing else it'll at least make it easier to keep track of what cookies you want to keep, ie not having to go into three different programs to add a new exclusion. Plus ATF cleaner deletes ALL cookies, it doesn't have an exclusions list so every time you run that every site that you have set to log you in automatically you'll have to login manually ;)

I relied on IE options & ATF before I made the decision to use CCleaner after much research in other forums. I only recently found the option of cookies in Spybot after reading some old posts because I was losing my home page settings. I do not have many cookies that I want to keep so it wasn't a big deal to save them in Spybot & CCleaner. After giving it more thought, & reading the responses in this thread & forum, it does make sense that cookies are not hidden like malware can be where you would need to run more than one cleaner. Also I wanted the confirmation that just because a cookie is protected in one program, it is not protected in another. I hope that others that may be scratching their heads on losing wanted cookies, take a look at what other cleaners they are using.