Yahoo Anti-Spy

TeeJay3800

Although I never use browser toolbars, I did want to try Yahoo Anti-Spy. You have to install the toolbar first, but you can delete it as soon as Anti-Spy is installed (as I did). I was just wondering if anyone has used it, or if they've heard anything about it. It scans very fast, and even picked up on an item that Ad-Aware missed! What can anyone tell me about this app?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

The toolbar, like all toolbars, is useless in my opinion. The Anti-Spy app is simple and works well for a quick scan here and there. I was mostly wondering about how effective it is and what other's opinions are of it.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

When I used Yahoo's Anti-Spy it removed some Windows files and that made me uninstall it. This was 3 years so I bet by now it has Improved.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Umm... I don't know what to say.

I was interested so I downloaded the toolbar against my better judgement. Then once installed I looked for the antispyware function and what did I find? Its freaking Norton Antispyware?!

I didn't bother installing that because there is no guarantee that I would be able to get rid of it. :rolleyes:

Just get superantispyware and/or AVG antispyware. Together they get almost everything. :)

I was interested so I downloaded the toolbar against my better judgement. Then once installed I looked for the antispyware function and what did I find? Its freaking Norton Antispyware?!

I didn't bother installing that because there is no guarantee that I would be able to get rid of it. :rolleyes:

Just get superantispyware and/or AVG antispyware. Together they get almost everything. :)

After all Rrridgely there just Toolbars for IE. You can't even close to suspect perfect or at least decent. Go with Spyware Terminator, SUPER Anti-Spyware, Ad-Ware and AVG Anti-Spyware.

OMG!!! Did I forget Spybot for the side of things... :lol:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Adaware and spybot are sort of useless at the moment.(they are not finding the new malware.) New versions are in the works so maybe they will become usefull again real soon. Right now AVG and Super are the best 2 free ones. SpywareTerminator might be good, I didn't like it and I would never run realtime antispyware.

I wasn't expecting much from yahoo, but norton? I didn't think they were that crappy.

And wow toolbars make IE7 even uglier.

I wasn't expecting much from yahoo, but norton? I didn't think they were that crappy.

I don't know what to say to that. When I installed the toolbar for Firefox, I clicked the anti-spy button and it downloaded and installed the Yahoo product....nothing to do with Norton at all. Maye they changed the toolbar in the last few months...

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

IE7 has to be a mistake. I was shocked. There's nothing new to me besides crappy developed Tabb feature.

I find ST to be really good. Even though I see why you say "Why" have ST <_<

nothing to do with Norton at all.
He must of meant he looked within the main folder within "Program files" under his main HDD.

• Moderators

They possibley could be using a different program for FF and IE users.

I don't have FF installed right now(been using opera, FF2 is crash happy on my computer(S).)

I didn't have to look in any folders or anything. I installed the toolbar and on it, it says "install Norton Antispyware".

If anyone is using firefox, install this and let me know if its different. :D

I Installed Anti-Spy back when Yahoo like... first released it so it could be different now :mellow:

When I installed the toolbar I highlighted over Anti-Spy and that's all it said "Anti-Spy" and when I clicked the button it lead me to the page to download and install.

• Moderators

Get Universal Extractor to unpack setup files (works on archives too), that way you don't have to bother with some add-ons you may not want.

• Moderators

Here's all three screens of Norton Spyware Scan:

Start Page:

nss2098_ss01.png.xs.jpg

Scanning:

nss2098_ss02.png.xs.jpg

Results:

nss2098_ss03.png.xs.jpg

It doesn't create logs, and only has two history .xml files that it keeps for scanning, therefore it isn't a tool to cleanup after with for example CCleaner, etc., and it isn't at all bloated when installed. If one uses Total Uninstall to track the installation it should be easily removable.

It isn't the best thing for Dial-up users however because the single definition files is huge when uncompressed at approximately 38MB, zipped it's about 12MB. It works with Windows 98SE and above.

Also according to the help file it's using portions of something rather the other from Sunbelt Software (the now owners of Kerio Personal Firewall).

Ahh I tested all this without even installing the Yahoo toolbar. :P

It's hard to believe that it's the first bit of Symantec software I've liked in about seven years and I'm actually going to leave it installed! :o

I have to say that at this point I am pretty confused. Whenever I've installed the anti-spyware component of the Yahoo toolbar, it automatically downloaded a product called Yahoo Anti-Spy with Yahoo branding that didn't look anything like the screen shots above. Does this mean that the newer version of the toolbar installs Norton, or is it only IE versions?

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• 4 weeks later...