MVPS hosts update

TeeJay3800

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean displaying an image or something else in place of the "cannot display" message that using a hosts file sometimes causes, you can definitely do that. If you mean something else, then I'm not really sure.

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you use that hosts file instead of the MVPS file?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
Do I can to redirect a page web to another page in my PC with host's file manipulating? - not to another page in web but in my computer!

Can I? How?

What exactly are you trying to say?

I'm not trying to be rude, but your post has me all confused.

An apology for my delayed reply. I have been entertained with the carnival'pleasures... :D And finishing the JkDefrag GUI'portuguese translation.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
What exactly are you trying to say?

I'm not trying to be rude, but your post has me all confused.

Certainly you are sure of. English is not my native language and some rectifications are needed or even a misunderstanding can occur with. Your patience is appreciated... Thanks.

you can definitely do that.

Ooops!... I think TeeJay3800 understood what I wanted to mean! I hope... I made a HTLM document (not a Britney Spears'picture... :rolleyes: ) and I want that this document (that it is saved in my PC - not in Web) comes out unlike "cannot display" message'page. My question is:

How can I do that in the host file (or another place...)?

why you use that hosts file instead of the MVPS file?

hpHosts disable more cracks, spammers, rogue'sites. But it's normal (MVPS have about 14.000 items; hpHosts 57.000). However MVPS is an excellent choice. hpHosts is a personal option mine.

because it was blocking too much 'not harmful' addresses. I already got Ad-muncher and SpywareBlaster.

You're right. But it isn't a weird behavior. Any protection have these annoyances. Notwithstanding in this uncomfortable situation I use HostsMan to delete the host'item that give rise to this bother. Also, e.g., if I use IE-SPYAD I can't download Spyware Terminator in their Home Page.

To use SpwareBlaster is a good idea. Like using IE-SPYAD (AdvancedWindows Care'immunization is also good).

1%20(101).gif

Ooops!... I think TeeJay3800 understood what I wanted to mean! I hope... I made a HTLM document (not a Britney Spears'picture... :rolleyes: ) and I want that this document (that it is saved in my PC - not in Web) comes out unlike "cannot display" message'page. My question is:

How can I do that in the host file (or another place...)?

You can use a program like Homer. It allows you to replace the "cannot display" message with an image of your choice. B)

Also, I did not realize how many more items are blocked in the hpHosts hosts file!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
Also, I did not realize how many more items are blocked in the hpHosts hosts file!

Yeah but you had better search through and edit out any possible sites you like to visit. For instance it will block Softpedia.com "because they have some adware downloads available" (well according to some uninformative email reply from the maintainer that's how it was explained to me), yet the same site still talking about Softpedia.com also has non-adware downloads too. :rolleyes:

eDexter and Homer aren't what I want: 1) they work with images only (with very limitations); 2) worst, they need to run in a background processing. Definitively: it isn't interesting to me.

It seems that there are a required condition: to handle and modify the "shdoclc.dll" file. I made that and when I try to open any site that are blocked by the host file and forwards to localhost 127.0.0.1, comes out the message that I want (replace previous "error" message).

Now, the info message is customized.

How does hphosts compare with the Bluetack hosts files which is highly recommended on some of the security forums?

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php...at&cat_id=3

I currently load the MVPS Hosts file using HostsXpert, and between this, SiteAdvisor, Spyware Blaster, Spyguard, AVG Anti-Spyware, Teatimer from Spybot S&D, and IE Spy-ad, would a larger HOSTS file really add much more? It it's blocking Softpedia and Spyware Terminator just because they link to questionable sites or have adware downloads on their site, I don't think it's adding much.