Safely Getting "bonjour" Off My System

SaiyaMel

Certain software comes with that "Bonjour" service thing which i despise on a PC... (i think it should be on Macs only) i managed to find a way of deleting it a couple of times (by disabling it via windows task manager, then copy/pasting the folder from my Program files directory, to another location or drive,, then deleting it...it's the only way i could find that rids it off my system) - but not without the consequence of my notebook PC later being unable to connect properly to wireless internet.. the first time i tried that method,, it really messed up my first laptop and ended up having to buy an new one.

Is there another way(s) that wont screw anything up?

• Moderators

Um.. I think your talking about the thing from itunes. Just uninstall that and quicktime.

Then get quicktime alternative to play .mov and .h264 files.

I hope you really didn't buy a new computer because of this... you could have just reformated/used system restore.

Actually, in my case - it came with the new Adobe Photoshop beta. i know about Gimp and Paint.net, etc (i actually use paint.net for quick image editing purposes),, while those are good free alternatives that are improving all the time...when it comes to the kind of flashy graphics i like to make - those two just don't cut it for me yet.

I don't think it was the erasing of "Bonjour" process itself that recked my last notebook - it was getting old and had been used a lot....i was starting to have problems with it lately - such as it refusing new Windows security updates,, amongs some other minor issues. there was some physical (hardrive) breakdown that caused it to fail, so no system restoral did any good at that point. but twice after deleting it (on the old laptop and the new one) i noticed it the wireless network would fail to connect to the internet upon reboot,,, and i ended up having to reinstall my system on the new machine..

If anyone else has the answer - i'de appreciate it. ;)

I hope Adobe receives enough complaints on the Bonjour services additive to discontinue including it in future versions!

Its funny with noobs who go and buy a new computer, just because of some software problem when all you need todo is reinstall the operating system.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
Its funny with noobs who go and buy a new computer, just because of some software problem when all you need todo is reinstall the operating system.

Reinstalling can be horrifying experience when you are a new computer user. Knowledge is low and panic can set in.

That's when forums can be a helpful place :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Can you give me a picture of your process manager showing that service? Thanks. :)

One way to disable it would be to use autoruns:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

I don't have it on my system anymore - i removed it a couple days ago. thanks for the link. :)

And Eldmannen - i assure you that i am no noob when it comes to reinstalling Windows. if you read my above reply more carefully - i mentioned i that i had a hardware failure (mother board) on the old machine...no operating system reinstallation is gonna fix such a problem. and i needed to buy an new one - as that particular model has been discontinued.

I'd like to think I was protected if for any reason I messed up the operating system or whatever that I had to reinstall. Not just through doing backups on a regular basis but I also have Slax burned to a disk so that if the OS / hard drive can't be accessed I can boot into Linux via that disk, which just uses the computer's RAM

http://www.slax.org/

in fact, when I've ran DBAN to wipe my hard drive I've often used the disk to access the internet to check emails etc before embarking on the fun that reinstalling is! Having this disk could also mean being able to access the CCleaner forums or some troubleshooting site if that was necessary to ask questions to see if a reinstall or resetting the computer back to factory settings could be avoided.