extractnow

Anyone ever tried this? I downloaded it, but dont have any files to extract yet. :)

Heres the link:

http://www.extractnow.com/

Its freeware and looks interesting anyways.

It's a good program for just extracting files I used to use it quiet allot before I got WinRAR. Any of the freeware Zip programs well allow you to unzip or extract most of your files.

i have winrar, but im going to give zipgenius a whirl. im trying to slowly get rid of all my commercial software with freeware alternatives, so as to be able to completely install freeware software on my next computer.

a few that i really like will be hard to lose though.....:)

• Moderators

i have winrar, but im going to give zipgenius a whirl. im trying to slowly get rid of all my commercial software with freeware alternatives

I personally think WinRAR is better! ;) And yes I'm biased towards WinRAR. :P

When I last tried ExtractNow I noticed it left too many crumbs behind verging on the point of being absurd. Another freeware extraction util that can unpack just about anything even unpack some setup files like those made with Inno Setup, etc., is Universal Extractor.

Edit:

For a freeware extractor that's also a full-featured archiver which unpacks many formats also consider the new and improved IZArc which can even create 7-zip (.7z) archives.

• Moderators

7zip has no match.

Tried zip genius? I seriously do think its better. :D

7zip works fine but zip genius seems to have more features a better GUI and I just like it more overall.

If I didn't use it I would probably use 7zip. Although I havent tried the new izarc yet.

• Moderators

7zip works fine but zip genius seems to have more features a better GUI and I just like it more overall.

The only drawback of mine towards 7-Zip has always been the GUI but that's about it. As for GUI design and usability WinRAR owns all in my opinion albeit it is commercial payware software.

• Moderators

too bad WinRAR doesn't come close to 7-Zip's ability to make smaller files :)

There's allot of too bad's where one is better than another in a particular area it's actually too bad WinRAR itself isn't open source! One of the drawbacks of the 7z format is not being able to update solid archives which WinRAR is capable of doing but at the cost of very slow updating.