Windows Update

XPSP2

Can any1 tell me why windows update is telling me that there is an update for windows media player 6.4?

I have windows media player 10. Thank-you

All the available updates are there whether you need them or not. Just go through and take the check off the ones you don't want and select don't show this update again.

It's a security patch. From Microsoft FAQs:

"I have installed Windows Media Player 11 on my computer. Why am I being offered the Windows Media Player 6.4 security update?

While Windows Media Player 11 is not vulnerable, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition will still have Windows Media Player 6.4 installed on the system for backwards compatibility."

The same would apply if you have WMP 10.

It's a security patch. From Microsoft FAQs:

"I have installed Windows Media Player 11 on my computer. Why am I being offered the Windows Media Player 6.4 security update?

While Windows Media Player 11 is not vulnerable, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition will still have Windows Media Player 6.4 installed on the system for backwards compatibility."

The same would apply if you have WMP 10.

Thank-you very much

Thank-you very much

Do I close this topic, mark solved, does someone else, or just leave it?

I was also shocked to see it wanting an update for that the other day, however WMP 6.4 is indeed on the system exactly located at:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe

LOL, so it is. Thats just silly, why's that there?