OpenDNS - FF users

Humpty

Quote:

OpenDNS can identify and stop sites trying to phish (steal) your personal information or money.

The OpenDNS phishing protection works with all operating systems and browsers, and complements any other security measures already in use, such as a firewall and anti-virus software.

Unqoute:

Seeing as OpenDNS has builtin antiphishing you could turn off FF's under options - security tab and see if you gain any speed.

Discussioin

I did some testing this morning! While using Open DNS, I timed using the Fasterfox timer going to Yahoo. Then, again using Fasterfox, I timed to Stopwatch (http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/index.html?). Once I was at Stopwatch, I used there timer and went to Altavista, Excite, Microsoft, Netscape and Tucows.

Then I set my router back to the ISP server, cleaned the cash, rebooted and checked to make sure I was not using OpenDNS with their test link. Cleaned everything again with CCleaner, then ran the exact same test. My ISP was faster to every site, by from one to over three seconds. My normal download speeds, by the way, are about 4.8mbps, testing at multiple sites. One possibility is that somehow the Stopwatch site cached the sites I went to since I was using their default test sites and I had just tested there. I even opened my Prefetch Windows folder and looking at the times it appeared to only prefetch startup programs and my CCleaner cleaning. Perhaps my ISPs servers are closer and that has something to do with it. Your thoughts?

OpenDNS can identify and stop sites trying to phish (steal) your personal information or money.

Seeing as OpenDNS has builtin antiphishing you could turn off FF's under options - security tab and see if you gain any speed.

I have open dns hardcoded into my hardware firewall settings.

I've been using OpenDNS for a few weeks and it seems ok, certainly haven't noticed any slowdown (despite being on the opposite side of the world to their current servers). I'm looking forward to their London server coming online though, hopefully I'll see some speed increase then :)

I've heard about OpenDNS too. I haven't used it yet, because I don't feel I need the phishing protection so much.

It's a nice free service though. It is good if you don't trust your ISP's DNS server or if your ISP uses some kind of censorship on their DNS servers.

All in all, I have to say even though I don't use it, it gives a good vibe, and I like it.

More information available on Wikipedia and the official website;

* http://www.opendns.com/

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png