Will Office 2007 get a 'kill switch,' too?

Humpty

Will be sticking with XP pro and Office 2003 for quite a bit longer here.

Quote:

Microsoft all but admitted earlier this month that the company is building a ?kill switch? into Windows Vista, as part of its strategy to lock down Vista with Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA).

While officials haven?t conceded that they are planning to do the same with Office 2007, it sure sounds like that is the intent.

Given that Office 2007 is expected to be released to manufacturing any day now, customers are sure to be interested in Microsoft?s intentions in this area.

Article

Sounds like to me MS is going to end up putting a "Kill switch" on Vista period. No only is it a resource hog even on custom built computers the low end units out in the stores it will just kill there preformance. I can understand wanting to stop there OS from being piriated but to make every program and everything else that MS comes out with have to go through the WGA crap. I see a big increase in people using freeware apps. like media players,OpenOffice which everyone seem to be using around here, and anything else you can replace to do away with MS applications.

• Moderators

I see a big increase in people using freeware apps. like media players,OpenOffice which everyone seem to be using around here, and anything else you can replace to do away with MS applications.

And possibly replace the OS itself with an alternative! ;)

After I start tiring of WinXP in the next few years (actually I already am to be honest) I'll check out a host of Linux builds to see if any of them suit my fancy, and hopefully one or more of them will.

And possibly replace the OS itself with an alternative! ;)

After I start tiring of WinXP in the next few years (actually I already am to be honest) I'll check out a host of Linux builds to see if any of them suit my fancy, and hopefully one or more of them will.

I have had some interest in Linux but really havent gotten into it mostly because of time and to be honest have no clue where to start or what with as far as equipment, type of software and just a general idea about how to get started. Any good references sites?