Windows updates

Canary

An icon has appeared in my system tray telling me there is a Windows update available.

When I try to install it, it says the update was unable to be installed.

But then the system tray icon reappears, again telling me there is an update available.

So the process goes round and round.

How can I make the icon disappear?

Canary. I dont know why, but i had the same problem. i just went to the update site & downloaded all available updates, installed them . Then rebooted, Problem solved. Hope this helps. Cowboy

• Moderators

It's probably the update that was starting to really piss me off because it would constantly time-out and not do anything. Between numerous reboots it literally took from around 9am to 3pm to fully download and install. I contribute some of the beyond slowish downloading to the damned trickle downloading feature that Automatic Updates has, and I'm far beyond wanting to kill the trickle feature because it causes far more annoyances than any benefits.

There was some sort of prob with the auto updates but apparently it was fixed.

Quote:

When the software maker released the 10 patches on Tuesday, the only way people could get them was to manually download them. The company said that was due to problems with its automated tools, including Windows' Automatic Updates, Microsoft Update and Windows Server Update Services.

Article

There was some major snafu with Microsoft's server this past Tuesday and automatic updates weren't working ... although manual updates were.

I received the updates Tuesday and the icon in the system tray appeared no problem and when I selected to down load nothing happened. So I used the update site and that worked. Now I know why.

Just in case anyone is interested, I uninstalled .NET and then reinstalled it, rebooting after each stage, and then finally the update worked.

Before that, neither manual or automatic updates worked.

Thanks - as ever - for all your help, guys.