Linksys Wireless Router

Parvez

I just bought a linksys wireless router WRT54GS! This is my first time though. Once I set up the router, I can use it from my laptop right? It has a wireless card builtin already. Now, I don't mean using the laptop while the ethernet wires are plugged into my laptop's jack. I will use it from my living room and the desktop is in my room.

Also, how can i protect and secure the router? So, no one steals my connection without me knowning about it.

Thanks!

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

Once I set up the router, I can use it from my laptop right? It has a wireless card builtin already. Now, I don't mean using the laptop while the ethernet wires are plugged into my laptop's jack. I will use it from my living room and the desktop is in my room.

Yes.
Also, how can i protect and secure the router? So, no one steals my connection without me knowning about it.
Your manual should explain the details but:

1. Disable SSID broadcast.

2. Use encryption.

3. Use MAC Address filter to allow only listed units to connect.

ya, definately use encryption, set up a password.

you know how to do it, right?

(type in address bar:192.168.1.1 and theres your options.

also put a password up so others cant change your settings.)

I forgot this but where do I get the Mac address from? Wasn't it from cmd then ipconfig ?

There are probably other ways but (in Windows XP) I use Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Support > Details > Physical Address.

okay! I got it to working.. its 128bit encryption ;)

thank you guys!!

If you don't mind let me recommend a site for inspection. This is what I use here.

WRT54GC & WMP54G Combo

WPA2 Personal, AES & a 63 bit key

I rather have used WPA2 Mixed but the WMP54G card doesn't support.

channel 10, not 6, why? EVERYONE uses Channel 6. Most people just leave the defaults on. From experience I get better reception moving the channel to 10. List of inference: Cell, cordless phones, Microwaves, florencent lighting(WORSE), large mechanical motors(elevators)

SSID is enabled, why? With SSID off it makes it more difficult to authenticate machine. Also you are more prone to diconnects. I may be wrong, but this works for me. I used to run with out SSID off, had nothing but problems.

http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16091930