Lose Photos {Thumbnails} After Running CCleaner Pro (Windows 11)

Jan Groshan

Every time I run CCleaner Pro for Windows 11, Ver. 6.16.10662, I seem to lose the option in my photos library to open the photos as photos and not just .pdf or .jpg icons. After running the CCleaner program I have to choose an "icon", tell it to always open with photos, and then reboot the computer so I can actually see the photos. Is there something I can turn off in the various options so that the ability to view my photos is not changed every time I run the cleaner? It's getting pretty frustrating as I like to run a "health check", custom cleaning and a registry cleaning at least once a month...sometimes more...but having to reassign photos as the program to open photos and then rebooting the computer is getting a bit frustrating.

• Moderators

1) it is redundant to run health check and custom. Choose 1 (i suggest custom as you have things you don't want cleaned)

2) stop running the registry cleaner. This is likely the root of your issue.  Registry should be judiciously done. See my signature for tried and true registry advice XP-11, however some of my compatriots would tell you never run it on windows 10 or 11.

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

What I need to know is WHICH ITEMS I should uncheck when running a health check. I just ran a health check and once again my pictures did not load as pictures but merely icons andI had to once again tell the computer to "always" open a picture file with xxx and then reboot to get all the pictures back . I also lose the automatic sign-in to some of my websites without having to go through entering my username and password. There must be specific items within CCleaner that I can uncheck so that this doesn't happen every time. I just need to know what they are.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Jan Groshan said:

What I need to know is WHICH ITEMS I should uncheck when running a health check. I just ran a health check and once again my pictures did not load as pictures but merely icons andI had to once again tell the computer to "always" open a picture file with xxx and then reboot to get all the pictures back . I also lose the automatic sign-in to some of my websites without having to go through entering my username and password. There must be specific items within CCleaner that I can uncheck so that this doesn't happen every time. I just need to know what they are.

Any unchecks you make in healthcheck revert the next time. I don't use healthcheck so am at a loss.  I'd suggest using custm clean as it follows the cookies to keep setting and will allow you to keep logged in to sites (other than those that log you out after time idle).

As far as your pictures i can nearly 100% guarantee is due to registry cleaning.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Yo say above that  you are also running Custom Clean and Registry Cleaner as well as Health Check..

The ticks and unticks in the Custom Clean lists only apply to Custom Clean.
They have no effect at all on Health Check.

Health Check does not usually log you out of sites in your browser(s) It will be Custom Clean which is doing that.
(However I note that you say "some of my websites" not ALL of them, so it may be the sites themselves that log you out after a certain time - some websites do that as a security measure).

In Custom Clean it is clearing a browsers 'Session' that will log you out of ALL websites.
Using Custom Clean and unticking 'Session' for a browser should stop it logging you out of sites in that browser.
eg: It is unticked here for both Edge and Firefox.
image.pngimage.png

When you are talking about "Photos" going missing you actually mean the "Thumbnails" of your photos.
The little pictures that Windows Explorer, photo viewer etc. show you.

When running Custom Clean clearing the 'Thumbnail Cache' can revert your thumbnail pictures to Icons as you describe, so Windows has to rebuild the cache again before it can show them as little pictures again.
Windows will usually do that automatically, but that does depend on your Windows settings. It can also take some time to rebuild if there are a lot of photos.
Again untick that option and Custom Clean will stop clearing the Thumbnail cache:
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• nukecad changed the title to Lose Photos {Thumbnails} After Running CCleaner Pro (Windows 11)
On 29/09/2023 at 23:55, nukecad said:

Yo say above that  you are also running Custom Clean and Registry Cleaner as well as Health Check..

The ticks and unticks in the Custom Clean lists only apply to Custom Clean.
They have no effect at all on Health Check.

Health Check does not usually log you out of sites in your browser(s) It will be Custom Clean which is doing that.
(However I note that you say "some of my websites" not ALL of them, so it may be the sites themselves that log you out after a certain time - some websites do that as a security measure).

In Custom Clean it is clearing a browsers 'Session' that will log you out of ALL websites.
Using Custom Clean and unticking 'Session' for a browser should stop it logging you out of sites in that browser.
eg: It is unticked here for both Edge and Firefox.
image.pngimage.png

When you are talking about "Photos" going missing you actually mean the "Thumbnails" of your photos.
The little pictures that Windows Explorer, photo viewer etc. show you.

When running Custom Clean clearing the 'Thumbnail Cache' can revert your thumbnail pictures to Icons as you describe, so Windows has to rebuild the cache again before it can show them as little pictures again.
Windows will usually do that automatically, but that does depend on your Windows settings. It can also take some time to rebuild if there are a lot of photos.
Again untick that option and Custom Clean will stop clearing the Thumbnail cache:
image.png

Thank you. I'll give it a try. 

Well, I went into the settings for CCleaner  Custom Clean to do as you suggested and discovered the boxes you suggested unchecking were already unchecked, so I'm not sure what to do now. The only boxes that are checked are:

MICROSOFT EDGE: Internet Cache, Internet History, Cookies, Download History, Last Download Location and Recently Typed URLs

EDGE CHROMIUM: Internet Cache, Cookies, Internet History, Download History, Last Download Location, Metrics Temp Files, Bookmarks Backup

INTERNET EXPLORER: Temporary Internet Files, History, Cookies, Recently Typed URLs, Index.dat files, Las Download Location

WINDOWS EXPLORER: Run (In Start Menu)

SYSTEM: Empty Recycle Bin, Temporary Files, Clipboard, Memory Dumps, Chkdsk File Fragments, Windows Log Files, Windows Web Cache