Speccy crashes my system

• Moderators

We have not had that one before, how long has it been happining for you?

If it's only just started then have you done any Windows Updates, in particular I'm thinking about the Optional 'Preview' updates for Windows and Net Framework that have just been released in the last few days.

I'd try reinstalling Speccy, you can download an installer here: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/builds

Personally I would uninstall the current Speccy, and do a Restart (not shutdown) of the machine before reinstalling.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi NC, thanks for the help.

No idea since when. I have not used Speccy for months. Did do a reboot - uninstall - reboot - run ccleaner - reboot - reinstall before I started this thread , but that did not fix it.

No idea what has changed, my laptop is a live system , updates every day.

• Moderators

Dunno, it may just be something in Win11, but no one else is shouting it, at least not yet. We have had av few where Speccy itself has crashed on Win11 but yours is the first I've seen where Win11 itself crashed. As you note though Speccy is not something that people run everyday.

It might be worth running a virus scan if you haven't already. (And a threat scan with Malwarebytes, the Free version is fine for manual scanning).

It's unlikely, but malware removal experts often ask users for Speccy scan reports when helping them so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility for a malware to try and prevent it scanning?

I'll keep my eyes open here and on other techie fora for any similar reports.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Ran speccy on LG Gram laptop 17ZB90R-K.AA75A9, i7, 512Gb NVME, 16GB DDR4 with no problem. Ran on LG Gram laptop 17Z90R-K.AA78A9, i7, 1TB NVME, 16Gb DDR5 and crashed (Blue Screen) the system. Running windows 11 Home 64Bit on both systems. Error produced "SECURE_PCI_CONFIG_SPACE_ACCESS_VIOLATION" Number 0X000001EA. Still working on it. Tried running 32Bit, 64Bit, stand alone Speccy and as administrator. No change. If anyone has an answer please respond. If no reply, getting ready to reset system in hopes that something went wrong with the install of windows 11 and or drivers.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I have a CPU temp issue with Speccy also. Speccy CPU temp is not reported on my Asus Z790 prime, i7-13700k, Windows 11. The Speccy CPU temp is reported on my Asus Z590 Gundam, i5-11600k Windows 11, same Win updates on both.  HWinfo64 reports all temps on both.  

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here.

Speccy v1.32.0.803 crashes my system shortly after start with a blue screen showing:

Stop code: SECURE_PCI_CONFIG_SPACE_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Cause: cpuz149_x64.sys

Running MSI Prestige A12UD-232 with Windows 11 Pro x64 and 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM

Tried speccy deinstall (REVO uninstaller), speccy reinstall, running speccy as administrator - no success!
Interestingly, cpu-z_2.08-en.exe runs fine.

I suggest an attempt to integrate cpu-z_2.08-en.exe into a newer version of speccy.

• Moderators

Cpu-z is not Speccy.

Your error says that Cpu-z is causing your crash. Not Speccy.

On 09/10/2023 at 20:28, Glennpb said:

Hello. I have a CPU temp issue with Speccy also. Speccy CPU temp is not reported on my Asus Z790 prime, i7-13700k, Windows 11. The Speccy CPU temp is reported on my Asus Z590 Gundam, i5-11600k Windows 11, same Win updates on both.  HWinfo64 reports all temps on both.  

I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

2 hours ago, Shalom said:

Same issue here.

Speccy v1.32.0.803 crashes my system shortly after start with a blue screen showing:

Stop code: SECURE_PCI_CONFIG_SPACE_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Cause: cpuz149_x64.sys   . . . . . . . . . . . 

I am not sure what stop code I am getting, will try tomorrow.

Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 22H2 (Build 22621.2428)
Speccy v1.32.0.803 x64

Speccy v1.32.0.803 x64 requires cpuz149_64.sys to run.

File spsetup132.exe (v1.32.0.803) installs - among others - folder/files
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\cpuz149
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\cpuz149\cpuz149_x64.sys
See attachment "MonitorLog_Speccy (x64).txt".

When Speccy64.exe is run, the system file cpuz149_64.sys is employed.
When Speccy is terminated, folder cpuz149 and file cpuz149_64.sys are removed.

When Speccy64.exe is run again, folder cpuz149 and file cpuz149_64.sys are restored.

This applies to systems with the memory integrity feature disabled or not turned-on.

On systems with the memory integrity feature enabled, cpuz149_64.sys is prevented from being loaded due to an incompatibility. In turn, the system crashes when Speccy64.exe is run.

So, if Speccy64 crashes your system, most probably the memory integrity feature is turned on and prevents the incompatible cpu149_64.sys from being loaded.

MonitorLog_Speccy (x64).txt