CCleaner not clearing cookies in Mozilla firefox.

Jack53

So I start by signing into Google. I run CCleaner and go back to Firefox and I am still logged into google. This is in Mozilla Firefox.  I have CCleaner set to clear everything in Firefox.

So I am signed out of google at first:

Then I sign into Google:

image.thumb.png.c7e2b8b0a5071b92cae5a75604a2bff6.png

Then I run CC cleaner:

Then after running CCleaner, I am still signed into Google:

I have CCleaner set to clear everything in firefox

image.thumb.png.32916309ac323973d93d1575408d3277.png

• Moderators

In Custom Clean tick 'Sesssion' for Firefox - you appear to have done that.

But if you then run Healh Check it will not use custom settings,  - you need to use Custon Clean to use the custom settings.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I run Bleachbit, and I am no longer logged in.  What do you not understand CCleaner.  Now either fix it or your tool is useless.  What do you not understand?  Are you advertising Bleachbit at this point?

image.thumb.png.5bfdaa72ded583e31403c8e8acf69855.png

I think i can see what Jack is referring to here...he has opened his Google account and started a session within Firefox, then run CCleaner which states its cleared 41 cookies....and therefore should have deleted his google session cookies including his logged in account. Which means he was expecting to have to relog back into his Google account after using Ccleaner, but he didn't as the session was still active.

i assume when he runs Bleachbit it does indeed log him out of his Google account and deletes the cookie, requiring him to relog back in.

Edited by NE0

Yes, Neo.  That is exactly what I am saying.  CCleaner does not log me out of google as it should if it clears cookies and all the information in Mozilla Firefox.  This means that I am still logged into google after using CCleaner. That should not be. Bleachbit does log me out of google appropriately.

• Moderators

Not at all,

as the latest screenshot from @Jack53 shows he is in fact logged out of his google account - look at the blue button top right, it is asking him to sign in to Google again.

The only reason I can think of where that wouldn't happen (assuming that you ran Custom Clean with Session ticked fro that browser) is if you ran CCleaner while the browser was still open - maybe open as a background process so not on screen.

The fact that Google search is showing as the homepage is a browser setting, change the homepage in the browser,  or change the search engine in the browser.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

That latest screen shot might be post running Bleachbit which has logged him out of Google, unfortunately Jack hasn't titled the screenshot. Whereas the third screenshot down, is post Ccleaner and shows he's still logged into google.

I'm thinking his first post shows what happens when running Cleaner, his second post is after running Bleachbit giving the two different results.

just trying to help clarify the situation for Jack, just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

Hi Jack53:

Just a thought, but CCleaner has a feature called Intelligent Cookie Scan described in the support article Select Cookies to Clean with CCleaner for Windows that deliberately ignores cleaning of cookies that store login data for many popular sites like google.com, yahoo.com, etc.

When I first installed CCleaner the Intelligent Cookie Scan was enforced by default. If you want CCleaner to clean those exempt cookies go to Options | Cookies and see if you have any cookies (e.g., google.com, etc.) in the "Cookies to Keep" column.  If you're certain you want one of those exempt cookies cleaned then highlight the cookie and use the left-pointing arrow to move it to the "Cookies on Computer" column to ensure it's cleaned the next time you run a Custom CleanNote that I don't run Health Check scans so I'm not sure what effect that would have on cookie cleaning with Health Check.

CCleanerv6_10OptionsCookiesCookiestoKeep28Apr2022.png.0fa18dfe9fb4dfcb333ea22461146231.png

-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2846 * Firefox v112.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2303.8-1.1.20200.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.27.262-1.0.1991 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NE0 said:

just trying to help clarify the situation for Jack, just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

And thanks for spending time to do that . - That is what we are all about here, trying to work out what any issue is and how to resolve them.

It's great that as users we can help each other, and that the company staff will also get involved on the forum when deeper help or insight on cnmpany policy is needed.

@Imacri  Yes, that corrected the issue. It was set to keep Google cookies.  Not sure why. Thank you also Neo and Nukecad.

Imacri said:

Hi Jack53:

Just a thought, but CCleaner has a feature called Intelligent Cookie Scan described in the support article Select Cookies to Clean with CCleaner for Windows that deliberately ignores cleaning of cookies that store login data for many popular sites like google.com, yahoo.com, etc.

When I first installed CCleaner the Intelligent Cookie Scan was enforced by default. If you want CCleaner to clean those exempt cookies go to Options | Cookies and see if you have any cookies (e.g., google.com, etc.) in the "Cookies to Keep" column.  If you're certain you want one of those exempt cookies cleaned then highlight the cookie and use the left-pointing arrow to move it to the "Cookies on Computer" column to ensure it's cleaned the next time you run a Custom CleanNote that I don't run Health Check scans so I'm not sure what effect that would have on cookie cleaning with Health Check.

CCleanerv6_10OptionsCookiesCookiestoKeep28Apr2022.png.0fa18dfe9fb4dfcb333ea22461146231.png

-------------

3 hours ago, Jack53 said:

Yes, that corrected the issue. It was set to keep Google cookies.  Not sure why....

Hi Jack35:

Further information is available in the CCleaner support article Select Cookies to Clean with CCleaner for Windows, which states in part:

Adding Websites to 'Cookies to Keep' with Intelligent Cookie Scan:

CCleaner’s Intelligent Cookie Scan helps you by adding some popular websites to the Cookies to Keep list (if they are found on your computer when the scan is performed). The Cookies to Keep list stops you from being logged out of websites like Facebook and Twitter, or email providers like Gmail and Yahoo.

Note that I have removed ALL the cookies from my "Cookies to Keep" column that were added by the Intelligent Cookie Scan feature, including the avast.com and ccleaner.com sites.  I don't use an Avast browser or antivirus and I suspect Avast / Piriform would prefer that I keep those cookies in the "Cookies to Keep" list so they can track my activity when I browse on their websites, which I don't want.

I only run a Custom Clean scan with CCleaner once week so I also have my Firefox (Privacy & Security | Browser Privacy | History | Clear history when Firefox closes | Settings)  and MS Edge (Settings | Privacy, Search and Services | Clear Browsing Data | Choose What to Clear Every Time You Close The Browser | Cookies and other site data | ON) browsers set to automatically delete all cookies every time I exit my browser. From my default Firefox browser, for example:

Firefoxv112ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit28Apr2023.png.30caeee908e4cdf2a09b4fd4121425c3.png

Firefoxv112ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExitSettings28Apr2023.png.ef3c6462f3c1e8fcccf3880a28f1d2ca.png
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2846 * Firefox v112.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2303.8-1.1.20200.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.27.262-1.0.1991 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347