Windows 11 Notifications "scams" ?

Hey guy's

It's been a while since I posted anything 🙂

Ok so Windows 11...

Today I got a notification about my CCleaner subscripion being out of date and a link suggesting that I should renew it 

My sub for CCleaner Pro is good and not due until 20/02/2024 

The notification "window" had the CCleaner "banner or header" and looked legit 🤔 

Usually clicking away from a notification window makes it close however it wouldn't close or go away without clicking one of the links

The 1st link was to renew my sub which I did not click !

But it did close after clicking the second line "remind me later"

I've had a few other suspect notifications pretending to be from "McAfee"

Has anyone had or heard of this ?

• Moderators

Yes I got that 'expires today' notification yesterday

As the licence I use is a staff one and is good until 2025 I knew it was wrong.

It seems to have be a glitch where the licence server briefly couldn't access expiry dates for some reason, so if you opened CCleaner you got that notification.
It was quickly corrected yesterday so most will not have seen it, only those who happened to open CCleaner during that short period.

I'm not seeing it today, maybe it glitched again?

Can you say what time it was when the notification popped up for you?

I can't comment on McaFee

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi nukecad

It did pop up after opening CCleaner and the time was about 6:30 PM here today in Australia 31/03/2023

Thanks for the reply 👍🙂

• Moderators

Cheers, if it becomes a recurring issue then timings may help track down the cause.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

CCleaner does not download any other programmes when you run it.

It may/will update programmes that are already on your machine if you use Health Check in CCleaner Pro.

Is that what you are meaning?

3 minutes ago, nukecad said:

CCleaner does not download any other programmes when you run it.

It may update programmes that are already on your machine if you use Health Check in CCleaner Pro.

Is that what you are meaning?

Yes, thanks. So I need to get those programs off the  machine. appreciate the help.

• Moderators

Either that or use Custom Clean instead of Health Check.

If you never use those programmes then you can just uninstall them.

• Admin
On 31/03/2023 at 11:50, nukecad said:

Yes I got that 'expires today' notification yesterday

As the licence I use is a staff one and is good until 2025 I knew it was wrong.

It seems to have be a glitch where the licence server briefly couldn't access expiry dates for some reason, so if you opened CCleaner you got that notification.
It was quickly corrected yesterday so most will not have seen it, only those who happened to open CCleaner during that short period.

There was an issue was between 10:10am and 12:28pm Thursday UK time, during which time some CCleaner Professional for WIndows users received the message below when a temporary glitch during a license system migration was returning "0" as the number of days remaining until expiry (ie: "expires today") - whether the customer had an active or expired licence registered.  It did resurface again between 00:30 and 09:00 on Friday morning as well, albeit for a different reason, but we've been monitoring over the weekend, and we've seen no erroneous expiry notification pop-ups since then.

image.png

If any readers saw a different message relating to their CCleaner licence expiry, then that would be most likely unrelated to this event.

As a general note, you can always check your licence expiry date inside CCleaner by going to Options > About > License Information, or the My Account section in the top right corner.  An unexpected expiry date is most generally due to:

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Yes Dave 🙂

That's the exact same notification window that I got

And even though it's legit "glitch" ! notice there's no "X" in the top right corner 🤔... you had to click one of the link's to get rid of it !

That alone rings alarm bells for me 🤨 just saying