Possible Issue With New Windows Search Cleaning in v6.06 and Higher

lmacri

The "Other Cleaning Improvements" section of the CCleaner v6.06 release notes <here> states in part "Windows Explorer: detects and removes outdated Windows Search data, log files, and shortcuts to recently used files".  Does anyone know exactly what Windows Search data is purged when this new option is enabled, and has any anyone with a Win 10 OS noticed problems with their Windows Search since updating to CCleaner v6.06 or higher?

I began seeing errors for RuntimeBroker.exe logged in my Win 10 Reliability Monitor on 19-Dec-2022 and noticed these errors were always related to Windows Search (see details in my 26-Dec-2022 post # 2511707 in the AskWoody thread Upgrade to Build 2364 Caused File Explorer to Be Sluggish and image below).  I originally assumed these Windows Search errors were triggered when I updated my Win 10 Pro v22H2 to OS build 19045.2364 during my Dec 2022 Patch Tuesday updates on 19-Dec-2022 but System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and the DISM command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth did not find any problems with my system files.  A few days ago I also realized that 19-Dec-2022 was the day after I ran a Custom Clean with CCleaner Free Portable v6.06.

2039706881_Win10v22H2EventViewerRuntimeBroker_exentdll_dllError22Dec2022.png.71a957e11b021337d24bb0df3b42355f.png

I only use the Custom Clean feature of CCleaner, and after reading the CCleaner v6.06 release notes I confirmed that cleaning of MS Search data had been enabled in my CCleaner settings without my knowledge.  Since disabling this CCleaner setting on 24-Dec-2022 and updating to CCleaner v6.07 my RuntimeBroker.exe / Windows Search errors have stopped, although I can't confirm this Windows Search cleaning was the root cause of the errors.

456663920_CCleanerv6_07CustomCleanApplicationsTabMSSearchEnabledbyDefault24Dec2022.thumb.png.36f3c43aac19fba30acf983418d9bb39.png

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2364 * Firefox v108.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2211.5-1.1.19900.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.19.229-1.0.1860 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7175 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.07.10191
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators

I don't know specifically, but in the past using winapp2.ini I had to ditch what they had available and use something less powerful to stop damaging Cortana/Search in Win10.

In Win10 cleaning these registry keys doesn't seem to break anything (at least not in my testing):
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SearchHistory
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\RecentApps

Also the cleaner in winapp2.ini that doesn't seem to break anything is: [Cortana *]

On 28/12/2022 at 16:51, Andavari said:

I don't know specifically, but in the past using winapp2.ini I had to ditch what they had available and use something less powerful to stop damaging Cortana/Search in Win10 ....

Hi Andavari:

Thank you for your feedback. I can't say for certain that the changes that Avast / Piriform made to Windows Search cleaning in CCleaner v6.06 were causing my Windows Search errors, but my Windows Search problems seem to have stopped since I disabled the Custom Clean | Applications tab | Windows | MS Search option.

It's very frustrating that extra cleaning features added to new CCleaner releases (and possibly optimized for Windows 11 cleaning) are automatically enabled in my Custom Clean settings.  I don't allow any "one-size-fits-all" feature like CCleaner's PC Health Check to run on my system and only use Custom Clean because I want to I have complete control over what CCleaner is cleaning.  However, that's becoming increasing difficult when Avast / Piriform keeps changing my Custom Clean settings without my knowledge and using vague descriptions in the release notes that don't explain exactly what items / folders will be cleaned - see my Feb 2022 Suggestion RE: New "Windows SubSystems Temp Files" Option in CCleaner v5.90 for one example.

I've been a loyal CCleaner user for several years, but I've noticed too many odd glitches and errors on my Win 10 laptop recent years that were eventually traced back to CCleaner.  I don't see how I can continue to justify using CCleaner on my system when alternative utilities I've tested recently seem to suit my needs. 
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2364 * Firefox v108.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2211.5-1.1.19900.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.19.229-1.0.1860 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7175 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.07.10191
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

try using "command prompt" with administrator privileges to run the command "sfc /scannow" (system file checker) .

microsoft says to run the command "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" before running "sfc /scannow"

event 1000 supposedly indicates file-corruption.

another thing, if you have enabled "ransomware protection" in "windows defender" that could be causing a problem.

"runtimebroker.exe" checks the permissions for processes that are running. the "ransomware protection" could be interfering with that.

i am not seeing any errors in "events" on my computer, running windows 10. i always use the most up-to-date version of ccleaner.

if you are using a third-party program to tweak the windows GUI, that also could be causing a problem.

Hi redwolfe98:

Thanks, but I already stated in my original post that sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (both run from an elevated command prompt) did not find any problems, and changing the run order of those commands does not change the results.  I do not have "ransomware protection" (a.k.a. Controlled Folder Access at Settings | Update & Security | Windows Security | Virus & Threat Protection | Virus & Threat Protection Settings | Manage Settings | Controlled Folder Access | Manage Controlled Folder Access | Ransomware Protection | Controlled Folder Access) enabled in my Windows Security settings.  I do not use a third-party app like Startdock's Start11 to tweak my Windows desktop appearance, assuming that's what you meant when you asked if I was using an app to "tweak the windows GUI".

As previously noted, my Windows Search errors stopped after I disabled MS Search cleaning in CCleaner (Custom Clean | Applications tab | Windows | MS Search).  If the errors reappear while this setting is still disabled then I'll look elsewhere for a cause.

The CCleaner v6.06 release notes <here> states in part "Windows Explorer: detects and removes outdated Windows Search data, log files, and shortcuts to recently used files".  If someone from Avast / Piriform can't explain exactly what items  are cleaned by this enhanced Search cleaning then I'll just move on to another utility for disk cleaning.
-----------

• Moderators

I had forgot that I made exclusions on Win10 probably two or so years ago to protect parts of Cortana/Search to prevent errors on my system.

-----

The exclusions are listed below they were made using Win10. They'd have to be tested to see if they stop the errors on Win11. Of course these "might only be useful" if you use Custom Clean in CCleaner, otherwise they'd be ignored if using the automated cleaning process.

Search Reg Exclusions:
Exclude1=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU
Exclude2=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
Exclude3=REG|HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Exclude4=REG|HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams

10 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi redwolfe98:

Thanks, but I already stated in my original post that sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (both run from an elevated command prompt) did not find any problems

i overlooked that you said that you had run "sfc /scannow." sorry.

in recent years, my eyesight has gotten bad.