CCleaner not forcing browser to close leaving cookies undeleted

Baldrick

Hi

I've used CCleaner for many years and very recently set the prompt for it to not ask if I wanted my browser to be closed during a Custom Clean. It used to come up with this even if I had closed Edge already as there are usually 6 to 8 Microsoft Edge processes showing in the Task Manager.

I've now noticed certain browser files are being skipped but I cannot work out how to change the setting back.

image.thumb.png.655a6075fffe66a423b2b0495545927f.png

I can manually delete the cookies by selecting them within CCleaner, which in turn causes 'do you wish to proceed?' prompt to temporarily appear again....

image.png.dd39cc2013987e4070dfb1234f092b72.png

Short of trying an uninstall and reinstall, is there a place to change this setting, please?

Thanks in advance

Rick

• Moderators

Try Options..Advanced and make sure Hide Warning Messages is unticked.

Then open Edge. click on 3 dots at top right of page.

Scroll dowwn and click on Settings.

Then go to System and Performance on left of page and make  sure Start up boost is off.

Also make sure 'Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed' is also turned off.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

What Hazelnut said should stop Edge running in the background and stop the skipping.

However other than uninstall/reinstall I only know of one other way (currently) that you can get that message to show again once you have told it not to show again.

If you go to Options>Advanced there is a 'Restore Default Settings' - of course that is also going to reset everything else that you may have changed; but it's quicker than reinstalling.

(You used to be able to manually edit the 'ccleaner.ini' file if you had one, to remove just one particular line/setting. But they have done something odd with the folder/file permissions and you can't easily do that anymore).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043