please help me get rid of norton

drew

I have spent 10 hours chatting with symantec reps trying to install my norton software. they are officially worthless and have now screwed up my computer. the uninstall didn't seem to be getting rid of everything, so some idiot that worked for them told me to boot in safe mode and delete all norton and symantec files and folders, and delete the symantec registry. well i couldn't delete all the norton files because some of the .dll files were write protected or being used or something, and now my computer gives microsoft errors on startup about the symantec internal component.

I can no longer use the uninstall function on norton's website because when i try to install their activeX it says norton antivirus does not support the repair function. please uninstall and reinstall. All I want to do is get rid of all symantec products and be done with their crappy company for the rest of my life. All they have is chat support, with people who hardly speak english and are obviously typing answers from a guide. At least 3 of them have hung up on me, 3 of them have lied to me saying they would send me an email and they never sent one. In my opinion it is the worst customer support I have ever experienced in my life.

thank you so much tarun. you are awesome. i wish i would have come here ten hours ago. those guys at symantec were just messing with me. i will never again use one of their products, if i have any choice.

etrust 12months free here:

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

You wont ever go back. :P

I used to use that but I didn't find it to be as friendly as Avast or as thorough. Avast does better overall and is extremely user-friendly. In addition it is very light on resources. E-Trust has a year subscription whereas Avast is always free. :)

There are even forum members whom have switched to Avast from other anti-virus products. This link discusses how one member switched from AVG to Avast. :D

i am definitely looking for a new antivirus and firewall program. I honestly liked norton for the last year but in the last day they have managed to 100% change my opinion of them. I suppose I will give avast a try and possibly try zonealarm as a firewall.

• Moderators

If only avast actually removed anything. Perfect example that I've found recently is this(and this is the pro version):

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=6228

This person has multiple infections and avast did nothing at all to remove them. Panda didn't either but it was never known to be all that great.

It's all clean now with just a few minor effects to clean up.

If only avast actually removed anything. Perfect example that I've found recently is this(and this is the pro version):

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=6228

Which means... nothing.

The anti-virus has to be updated to detect viruses. You should know that most users don't know how to update their anti-virus/anti-malware software. Even in your own guide you had to include instructions on how to update. ;)

Did you stop to think of all the reasons as to why Avast wasn't able to find a virus? Nah, just wanted to try to make some flame-bait and attempt to bash a perfectly good product without actual proof that the software fails to work as advertised. ;)

With Avast, it can very easily be set to update automatically (though it does by default).

• Open Avast

• Settings > Settings...

• Updates (Basic) > Select Auto for Database and Program. Details > Select Silent and uncheck all the checkboxes.

• Updates (Connections) > Set as needed.

Simple huh? :D

Let's get some irrefutable proof next time, eh? :lol:

• Moderators

But you just mentioning that you uninstalled etrust and avast found 13 things afterwords is irrefutable evidence right(even though you showed no proof of this)? I showed actual real world use and Anti-viruses above all other antimalware programs are supposed to update automatically and remove what they say they removed(note he said detected over and over again after avast said it deleted them.) Don't try to say I'm flaming because thats not even half way the truth.

Also note that some of those infections were only removed after using sysclean(stand alone antivirus from trendmicro.) and not a spyware remover.

We all have our opinions and experiences and I shared mine just like you shared yours.

• Moderators
...you mean you didn't know that viruses can replicate themselves, alter and modify files and much worse? I figured that would be common knowledge.

Ah and you were trying to accuse me of flaming when your attitude is worse then anything I've said? This can be reversed though...

...you mean you didn't know antiviruses can actually remove viruses? And are supposed to remove the viruses and all their traces from the registry? I figured that would be common knowledge.

This is not how you settle a debate. Your not supposed to try to make each other look bad(were on the same side overall), just try and prove your point. There is such a thing as respect and a proper way to conduct yourself. Maybe we can try that approach?