Did free ccleaner delete my Windows restore points?

Yuppers

• Moderators

Health Check will not remove restore points, CCleaner has a seperate tool in the Tools menu for managing existing restore points.

Windows itself will occasionally remove old restore points, that can depend on how much space you have allocated for them, as well as other factors.

Windows itself will automatically remove restore points that are more than 90 days old.
That's because they will be so 'out of sync' with changes to the filesystem that they are probably useless anyway.

Running Windows built in DisK CleanUp can also remove restore points.

Having said all that - By default Windows System Restore utility only shows you the 2 latest restore points, you need to click on "Show more restore points" to see earlier ones.

OR
As said above CCleaner has a tool for managing restore points, that shows all the available ones. so you might want to take a look at that, in CCleaner click on Tools then System Restore.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks so much. I now see I had my storage allocation for restore points too low to get the one I wanted. Drat. But thanks for the education on ccleaner's ability to view restore points.

I've spent hours trying to get my laptop to work again with my HP Printer (including 2 hours with the HP tech support who say it is a windows problem). . The print spooler keeps stopping every time I try to print. It won't work over Wifi or via USB, though it can print from my mobile phone. Rolling my Windows back was my last idea. I got no response from answers.microsoft.com....any ideas where else I can post?

• Moderators

@Yuppers

Are you aware that you can still update your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free if you want to? (Or even to Windows 11 if you machines hardware can support it).

Microsoft said they stopped the free update years ago - but they never turned it off and it still works, this article was updated last month (Jan 14 2022):
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043