Does ANYONE at Ccleaner Listen?

gswetsky

Well, at least you're honest - I notice that on your own web page Ccleaner has a trust value of 3.9.  Terrible.

Okay, one more time.  Keypass 2 IS NOT an upgrade to Keypass 1.  It is a different program!!  Yet every time I run Ccleaner, it installs Keypass 2 on my computer WITHOUT my permission and tries unsuccessfully to upgrade Keypass 1.

I have mentioned this numerous times on your Facebook page.  Whoever manages that page checked with a person at Ccleaner and they agreed that no, Keypass 2 is NOT an upgrade to Keypass 1!  I was promised your program would be modified.  That was about four months ago.  I just ran Ccleaner and sure enough, it downloaded another copy of Keypass 2 to my system.

And for some stupid reason I just sent you a check maintaining my pro status.  Lord help me!

Gerry Swetsky

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, gswetsky said:

Who is this Dominik Rechl?  He sure as heck doesn't work here!

It didn't take much to find him:
image.png

Sorry I can't comment much on your complaint, but I assume that you are using Health Check and it's downloading software that you don't want.

If you use Custom Clean instead then that doesn't even check for software updates, it just cleans the Junk.

To set Custom Clean as your default cleaning method use Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen>Custom Clean

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
1 hour ago, gswetsky said:

it installs Keypass 2 on my computer WITHOUT my permission

There are two ways that CCleaner's Software Updater will update software on your computer - both of which require user intervention.

1) You go into Tools > Software Updater, review the list of software to update, make your selection and then click "Update":

image.png

2) You Go into HealthCheck, run it and "Make it better" ...

image.png

... although, again, you do have the option to select which apps:

image.png

If Software Updater is updating software without giving you an opportunity to review it prior to that, have you set up a scheduled cleaning job (under Options > Scheduling) with Health Check as the cleaning type?

image.png

From the KeePass version history on their website it does indeed look like the developer is maintaining two parallel products with 1.x and 2.x.  Our devs spend more time perusing this forum than they do browsing Facebook, so I shall point them here to pick this up.

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

10 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

There are two ways that CCleaner's Software Updater will update software on your computer - both of which require user intervention.

Okay, thanks Dave et al.  Thus ends the Keepass debacle - or does it?  The only sore that won't be easily healed is my numerous attempts to give me this information before this.  Though I'm not certain whether I posted here before concerning it or not, I know I tried every other avenue trying to get this solution.  The one which should have effected a solution AFIC was when the person who runs the Ccleaner group on Facebook informed me they had contacted people at Ccleaner and that they guaranteed the problem would be fixed in an upcoming release.  That was five or six months ago.

And it IS a problem.  When I chose to install Keepass, I was faced with several different forms of the program to install.  I chose Keypass 1 because I didn't need all the bells and whistles of Keepass 2.  The versions are as diverse as Notepad is from Microsoft Word!

Yes, my problem is solved, however Ccleaner will continue to try to upgrade Keypass  1 wherever it finds it on other computers.  In other words, I'm grateful to you, but my bad feeling regarding Ccleaner hasn't changed.

Gerry

• Moderators

This sounds a bit like the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue that the Software Updater could have.

If you had one 'bit' version and the other version got an update first you could end up with both versions installed.
(Irfanview was one such app where it could happen).

That has supposedly now been fixed in CCleaner v5.87,

We've fixed an issue in Software Updater where some 32-bit software was incorrectly claiming updates were available

Presumably this KeePass issue is also in the list to be fixed, but of course fixes have priorities and something that is only affecting one or two users may be lower down the list.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

@gswetsky

Hi Gerry,

I'm TomK from the CCleaner code team. I would like to thank you for reporting the issue with how CCleaner handles KeePass. I'm sorry that it's taken us time to be able to focus on it and I'm sorry that it's been frustrating for you in the meantime. However, thank you for making the effort to bring it to our attention - I'd like to let you know what we're doing about it now.

The root cause of the problem is that KeePass is delivered as two different products that look very similar, yet need to be treated differently (as you've pointed out!)

CCleaner uses an algorithm to match updateable software in our catalogue to installed software on customers' computers and KeePass has exposed a blind spot in this algorithm. This means that the code in published versions of CCleaner can't correctly handle the difference between KeePass 1 and 2.

We will revisit the matching algorithm, so that CCleaner can do a better job of supporting apps like KeePass, but I can't currently make a promise as to exactly when we'll be able to make this change.

In the meantime, we have removed versions of KeePass 2 from our catalogue, which means it will not be offered as an update to KeePass 1. You should be able to use CCleaner's Health Check or Software Updater feature without the frustration now.

We will add KeePass 2 into the catalogue again in the future, once we can support both versions correctly.

Thanks for your help with identifying this issue,

Tom

PS: @nukecad - You're right about this being similar to the issue we had with 32/64 bit versions of the same software. It's the same algorithm that does the matching, although it's a slightly different aspect of it that will need changing for this one.