CCleaner broke all Chrome-Based Browsers on my pc

trav1s

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @trav1s Thanks for verifying that as it seems to indicate that we are on the right track.

If you've not done so already, I would suggest that you restart the computer - then check to see if the Let's Encrypt websites are working.

Otherwise, are you now able to see the ISRG Root X1 in the "Manage Certificates" area of Chrome, under the "Trusted Root" and "Intermediate" Certification Authority tabs?

(If you see the old "DST Root CA X3" entry under either of the tabs, please opt to "Remove" them from Chrome, as well)

2 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Hi @trav1s Thanks for verifying that as it seems to indicate that we are on the right track.

If you've not done so already, I would suggest that you restart the computer - then check to see if the Let's Encrypt websites are working.

Otherwise, are you now able to see the ISRG Root X1 in the "Manage Certificates" area of Chrome, under the "Trusted Root" and "Intermediate" Certification Authority tabs?

(If you see the old "DST Root CA X3" entry under either of the tabs, please opt to "Remove" them from Chrome, as well)

Installed ISRG Root X2 and deleted DST Root CA X3 and restarted the computer  - did not help.

18 hours ago, trav1s said:

Installed ISRG Root X2 and deleted DST Root CA X3 and restarted the computer  - did not help.

megan has you on the right path. unfortunately you have not followed her instructions to install the "isrgrootx1.der" file.

when installing the "isrgrootx1.der" file, choose "place all certificates in the following store" and choose "Trusted Root Certification Authorities."

here is another article related to the issue:

https://techglimpse.com/dst-root-ca-x3-expired-certificate-error/

the article, above, has a link for downloading the "isrgrootx1.der" file, "step 5."

if you follow the instructions to install the isrgrootx1.der file, hopefully that will resolve the issue with the expired letsencrypt root certificate.

you said you are running windows 10 in which case i don't think you should have had an issue with the expired root certificate. in all the other cases that i have seen, people who experienced the problem were running windows 7, which is unsupported and so was not being updated, which was why they had an issue with the expired root certificate.

i think that, if you did a clean install of windows 10-21H1, with all of the latest updates applied, that is one way you could fix the problem with the expired root certificate.

it is possible that something is wrong with your windows 10-installation, seeing that you had an issue with the expired root certificate. otherwise i don't think you would have had an issue with the expired root certificate, unless you have been deliberately blocking windows updates for the past several months, or longer.

you mentioned that you have firefox installed. firefox, if it is up-to-date, does not have the same problem with the expired root certificate since it has its own set of root certficates. so you might need to use the firefox browser to access some of the websites and downloads, until the issue with the expired root certificate is resolved.

19 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

megan has you on the right path. unfortunately you have not followed her instructions to install the "isrgrootx1.der" file.

when installing the "isrgrootx1.der" file, choose "place all certificates in the following store" and choose "Trusted Root Certification Authorities."

here is another article related to the issue:

https://techglimpse.com/dst-root-ca-x3-expired-certificate-error/

the article, above, has a link for downloading the "isrgrootx1.der" file, "step 5."

if you follow the instructions to install the isrgrootx1.der file, hopefully that will resolve the issue with the expired letsencrypt root certificate.

you said you are running windows 10 in which case i don't think you should have had an issue with the expired root certificate. in all the other cases that i have seen, people who experienced the problem were running windows 7, which is unsupported and so was not being updated, which was why they had an issue with the expired root certificate.

i think that, if you did a clean install of windows 10-21H1, with all of the latest updates applied, that is one way you could fix the problem with the expired root certificate.

it is possible that something is wrong with your windows 10-installation, seeing that you had an issue with the expired root certificate. otherwise i don't think you would have had an issue with the expired root certificate, unless you have been deliberately blocking windows updates for the past several months, or longer.

you mentioned that you have firefox installed. firefox, if it is up-to-date, does not have the same problem with the expired root certificate since it has its own set of root certficates. so you might need to use the firefox browser to access some of the websites and downloads, until the issue with the expired root certificate is resolved.

Thank you sir! Last time I installed it, I pressed the automatic installation. Thank you all very much for your help.