Unable to pay and renew my license in India

As per new regulations issued by the Indian Central Bank, merchants need to provide additional information to banks when requesting auto renewal of subscriptions by customers.

I believe CCleaner is not providing this additional data and hence the card issuing bank is declining my payment. As a result I am unable to renew my subscriptions to ccleaner, etc.

Please do look into the matter.

• Admin

Hi @mohankrajan note that this is a public forum, so please do not share any personal information on here.  For personalised support, I would recommend contacting customer support at support@ccleaner.com.

I am seeing many credit card payments being successfully made by Indian customers - there may be an issue with how your bank has implemented 3D Secure authentication.  I'll pass this one to Cleverbridge to investigate.

In the meantime, I note that you did have a couple of failed attempts at credit card purchases on October 14th, but tried a PayPal purchase on October 17th which was successful, but incomplete.  You would have had an email from Cleverbridge reminding you to complete your payment on PayPal on the same day, with content per per the screengrab below.  Were you able to complete your PayPal order using the link provided in the email?

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 2 months later...

Will have to reluctantly give up using Ccleaner, because numerous attempts to pay with valid credit card, being redirected to my bank (HDFC) and putting in OTP, is every time resulting in payment failures and renewal failures. I use the same credit card to spend 1,000s of dollars on international sites for my software and plugins.

There seems to be two agendas:

1. Force us from India to make Paypal accounts, which I do not want to do

2. Despite having a valid credit card, paying customers from India are unwanted

That seems a new way of doing business, unless the free ccleaner has hidden stuff and experimentation to be done on systems owned by citizens of certain countries.

Nothing is implausible in today's world of data insecurity.

Still own a professional licence.

Have uninstalled it.

Can't deal with a company bent on turning me away.

• Moderators

The online payment problems with debit and credit in India (and Pakistan) are entirely due to government banking regulations in those countries.

Software companies who want to sell software in a country have to comply with the government regulations of that country.
It's no use complaining to the software company, complain to your government.

The Indian government changed their rules again in September, the new changes affect recurring-payments such as subscriptions and automatic renewals.
(One time payments should not be affected, but there have been reports that those also may be declined).

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/30/india-recurring-payments-rbi/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALmohba1jTnDnCZjbeOKE7QsK7yVg2W-a0TxvXdU0HiMMpK2DJ_3ig1iVhJ-R0IXXHwAmWigiOpA3cPpBlYRRdufKHkR1Usl5R6KZ7WFTdJ6P_S3sPlo3xxOSCMygSk737mZWlPC4Bm7han_D4RRiyr1wzEsGLc5WYNlW_CP2Wo7

So you may find your credit card will now stop working online with other software providers too. Especially any where you have a subscription or automatically renewing licence.
You can definitely expect that more online payments will be referred to your bank, and will probably find that your bank will decline some of them.

PayPal and other alternatives to Credit/Debit cards are still working, but as that linked article says you may even find that PayPal transactions also start to be declined in India.

(It seems to be simply a case that the Indian government want to be able to see everything that their citizens are spending and where they are spending it, especially if it's going abroad. - 'Big Brother' has arrived in India).

EDIT- I note that you say you bank with HDFC -

HDFC, the largest private bank in India, has posted the following message on its website:
“Please note: Effective 1st Oct 2021, the Bank will NOT approve any Standing Instruction (e-Mandate for processing of recurring payments) given at Merchant Website / App, on HDFC Bank Credit card/Debit Card, unless it is as per RBI compliant process.”

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

In the UK, Europe and a number of other countries banks require their credit card customers to provide additional authentication before completing an online transaction.  India works under a similar system, and we're seeing transactions complete successfully for Visa, Mastercard and American Express branded credit and debit cards - but not for cards issued by local banks that are off these international networks. 

14 hours ago, Powercloner said:

Can't deal with a company bent on turning me away.

This is not a decision of Piriform, but a technical issue with our payment provider Cleverbridge that they are currently looking into to provide a more robust payment solution for our Indian customers (and theirs).

As a side note, payment issues can also arise in some countries (for all online merchants) if:

• a card was issued for face-to-face transactions only, and needs to be specifically authorised by the bank to do any online transactions; or
  • the customer is set up to receive SMS confirmations for online transactions on a mobile phone number that they no longer have.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

No one says the issue is with Piriform per se. However, if Piriform wants to retain paying customers in India. then they need to followup with their Payment Gateway Service Provider (Cleverbridge) who is apparently not bothered about retaining Piriform customers in india.

And while Piriform and Cleverbridge are least bothered, otner companies including IOBIT, spotity, Netflix, Google, etc. are already India compliant.

Infact, last week, I have taken a subscription with IOBIT for its entire suite of System care on Auto-Renew basis.

Good Luck to Piriform.

Edited by mohankrajan

• 11 months later...

I am trying to pay from a bank card in Dubai and a bank card in India, both declined the transaction. It is frustrating and looks like this will never work anymore. the software is good and it does the job (at least as much as I know), but the payment issue will bring a full stop to keep trying this software. 

• 9 months later...

The same problem here and continues. Neither credit card not paypal (including the mail link) works. Card is CITI, International. Had been paying (including recurring) to various others, Microsoft, IEEE, National Geographics,...  without hitch. In fact a few are even without the 2FA.  Here the 2FA is done at the Bank Platform and then it is being declined. It's only a very few like this one and probably one another, where I have problem. Most probably - the payment gateway is the paypal - even for card, and I seem to recall due to some money-laundering or so, there had been some restriction on some of the platforms.  You need a proper investigation, if you don't want to lose a segment of market. last year ... I have informed of it, and then went with Amazon local licence purchase... naturally you don't expect it to be done every year ?