Driver version reported by CCleaner is not correct

Mike Roh

One driver for whatever reason refused to update. That is because it was already updated. The detected driver version is not correct according to the version reported in Device Manager. The version reported as installed in Device Manager is the version CCleaner is trying to update. So the update fails. It is poor foresight to report a driver update failure but not why it failed to update. Also, multiple drivers failed because of the order in which they are being updated. Some "drivers" must be updated first and a reboot performed before others can be installed. REALLY CLUNKY NEW FUNCTION. However, this new function is way ahead of Windows Updates, HP updates, etc. I do not trust either HP or Microsoft to provide reliable driver updates.

It would be nice to get things right before a new function is released. I really find it difficult to support or endorse products that rely on unpaid customers for their quality control.

If you want specifics about what I am reporting then I will send you an invoice for my time.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Eternal718 said:

I have the same exact issue as you with the latest free version.

Driver Updater is not available in CCleaner free version.

So it is not possible for you to have the same issue.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

On 22/11/2021 at 21:15, hazelnut said:

Driver Updater is not available in CCleaner free version.

So it is not possible for you to have the same issue.

It's not possible but I can still scan for outdated drivers, I just updated all of them manually and CCleaner still shows that I have new available drivers that were released back in June even though the new ones I just manually installed are from the last two months. I tried reinstalling CCleaner which did nothing. Even "Driver Easy" finds newer drivers than CCleaner like what lol?

Edited by Eternal718

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Eternal718 said:

It's not possible but I can still scan for outdated drivers,

In that case your CCleaner must be out of date.
(The 'scan only' Driver Updater was only shown in CCleaner Free for a few versions, to tempt people to upgrade to Pro).

Newer versions of CCleaner Free no longer show the Driver Updater, it's only available in the Pro version.
image.png

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Im on the same version I reinstalled it to make sure and even though you cant update your drivers on the free edition you can still scan and see your outdated drivers along with the updated driver version the CCleaner has. I attached a screenshot with proof.

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by Eternal718

• Moderators

That is pretty odd why we are seeing different things in the free version.

I do note though that yours is not showing the red symbol with the number of updates found.
Which again would seem to indicate an older itteration of Driver Updater.
I also notice that you have the large upgrade arrow showing below Options while I don't.

Have you by any chance changed any registry entries, or maybe done a system Restore recently?
I'll do some checking/testing here. (It might be my setup that is different, but Hazelnut's comment also suggests that you shouldn't be seeing it in Free).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Eternal718 said:

I meant to say that Im able to scan for outdated drivers on the free version but just not install the drivers

The Driver Updater does that in the Free version, as a reminder of what you were missing if you don't have Pro.

I've just worked out why it's not showing in Free for me, and so not showing on my screenshots above. (Slaps forehead).
I'm not using the installed Free version.
I have CCleaner Pro installed, so to run the Free version I use the 'Portable' version, and the Portable version does not include the Driver Updater.

On 27/11/2021 at 04:20, nukecad said:

The Driver Updater does that in the Free version, as a reminder of what you were missing if you don't have Pro.

I've just worked out why it's not showing in Free for me, and so not showing on my screenshots above. (Slaps forehead).
I'm not using the installed Free version.
I have CCleaner Pro installed, so to run the Free version I use the 'Portable' version, and the Portable version does not include the Driver Updater.

Well I'm not talking about the portable version , I redownloaded/installed the standalone version CCleaner from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds multiple times now along with each reply. The driver updater tab still offers me to scan for outdated drivers but doesn't let me install them. I just don't see the point of having the driver updater when some of the "updated drivers" you have available are older than the current driver versions that shows in my device manager properties that you can see from my earlier replies.

• Moderators

That's fair enough, I was just pointing out why our screenshots above were showing different things for the Free version on our respective machines.