CCleaner multiple wipes

Colsh

I have Ccleaner set to do multiple wipes of data. This can take a bit of time but it's worth it.

Lately it has been completing the data wipe in only a second or two. Any ideas why and how to correct it?

Windows 7SP1 and with Chrome, Edge or Opera

• Moderators

Sorry, what are you meaning by "multiple wipes of data"?

Are you meaning Wipe Free Space in Custom Clean, the Drive Wiper tool, or something else?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

If you're referring to:
Options > Settings > Secure Deletion > Secure file deletion (Slower)

It's been speculated for years in perhaps only a handful of posts that it isn't doing anything on for example 3 passes, 7 passes, etc., because it finishes far too soon for the amount of data it would have to overwrite.

Using different secure delete/shred programs and configuring them to do the exact same amount of overwrites as a direct comparison you can see the difference in the amount of time it actually takes which is much longer.

Perhaps it's limited to only securely wiping the Recycle Bin, I don't know for sure, but from what I saw many years ago how fast it finished I stopped having it secure delete and instead used another freeware tool via the right-click context menu.

Edit:
I can however confirm that Wipe Free Space (aka Drive Wiper) in it's long drawn out process does actually work as I've used it many times and had Recuva scan the drive afterwards for confirmation it worked. Note that some people have stated it too didn't work.

That's exactly the one. What I'm trying to find out is why the behaviour changed and whether it can be overcome. It isn't only restricted to the recycle bin.

Accessing all the folders and wiping them individually is a real pain!

• Moderators

OK, so it's secure file deletion. No matter how long it takes, are the deleted files being overwritten with zeroes? If so, no worry, as multiple wipes are, as every man and his dog will tell you, a waste of time.

Perhaps you are running CC with a browser open and have checked the don't show this again box in the warning message, so browsing history is being ignored.

If you have an SSD then stop wiping deleted files.

• Moderators

(LesN, do not put your confusing posts in this thread. I have created a new thread Cleaner Drive Wiper in CC Bugs: your questions can be addressed there, and Colsh's here.)

• Moderators

Colsh, if  you don't know whether the secure deletion is working or not then it's difficult to have any idea what's happening.

On the rare imes I use secure file delete it works fine, with one pass. Years ago I ran a 35-pass secure file delete on a usb attached device and cancelled the job as soon as I could. After a few goes I caught the deletion in mid pass, so to speak. It was writing different patterns, implying that multi-pass is working. The last pattern of a multi-pass delete is zeroes, so it's very difficult to say whether one or more passes are being written.

One quirk of overwriting is that by looking at the data you will never ever know how many passes have been run, it's just zeroes.