Won't open after downloading and installing Version 5.65 update

MM&I

ccleaner won't open after downloading and installing Version 5.65 update.

I have an up to date Windows 10 Pro, 64 installed and it's working good with other programs and also CCleaner Version 5.64.

Issue is that after downloading the CCleaner installation file, (Free Version), and install it with the install wizard as per normal, when I try to open CCleaner, it will not start.

There is the little Microsoft blue spinning 'doughnut' as is normal just before the program starts, (always there, is normal), but the 'doughnut'  disappears, (again is normal immediately before CCleaner starts). However, the doughnut goes away and CCleaner (new V 5.65), does not start at all. There is no error code either.

I ended up doing a disaster recovery from a backup disk to the computer to get the old version, (v 5.64) back. I did this twice. The first time about a week ago and the second time today.

• Moderators

What antivirus do you use?  Currently users of a specific antivirus have been having this sane trouble.  One that is fixed by the latest version of that antivirus.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Also Trend is up to date.

I always check for updates first thing of the day when I first turn on PC. Trend always automatically updates when checking for updates when there are any updates.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MM&I said:

Also Trend is up to date.

I always check for updates first thing of the day when I first turn on PC. Trend always automatically updates when checking for updates when there are any updates.

Actually, it is trend that has the problem.  When you update tm from within it stays as trend micro 2018/2019 to update for sure download from

https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security/home.aspx

If, in the rare case ccleaner is not fixed by this update you'll need to whitelist ccleaner in trend micro following the directions in this post

Edited by Nergal
clarity

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I did have to to whitelist ccleaner in trend micro.

I already did have the latest TrendMicro installed, but I reinstalled it anyway and still had the issue until after white-listing CCleaner in TrendMicro.

Thanks!👍👍

Il 4/07/2020 alle 00:27, MM&I ha detto:

ccleaner non si aprirà dopo aver pubblicato l'articolo installato alla versione 5.65.

Ho un Windows 10 Pro aggiornato, 64 installato e aggiornato bene con altri programmi e anche CCleaner Versione 5.64.

Il problema è che dopo aver aggiornato il file di installazione di CCleaner (versione gratuita) e averlo installato con la procedura guidata di installazione come di consueto, quando provo ad installato CCleaner, non si avvierà.

C'è la piccola "ciambella" che gira di blu di Microsoft come è normale appena prima dell'inizio del programma (sempre lì, è normale), ma la "ciambella" scompare (di nuovo è normale immediatamente prima dell'avvio di CCleaner ). Tuttavia, la ciambella scompare e CCleaner (nuova V 5.65), non si avvia affatto. Non esiste nemmeno un codice di errore.

Ho finito per fare un ripristino di emergenza da un disco di backup sul computer per ripristinare la versione precedente, (v 5.64). L'ho fatto due volte. La prima volta circa una settimana fa e la seconda volta oggi.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks - I downloaded and am using Ccleaner 5.65 on a Win10 Pro system running McAfee Enterprise antivirus (managed by my company) and am having this same issue. Ccleaner was working fine until this latest update. I just tried running it and see the following in Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: CCleaner64.exe, version: 5.65.0.7632, time stamp: 0x5e7256e6
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1098, time stamp: 0xfabbdc8a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a46a7
Faulting process id: 0x760c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61cbb8cdbaaf2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 608d3240-3486-4e48-861e-654ae0d01de7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

At any rate, seems to me that the issue is not limited to TrendMicro. Any input here would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Stuart Cobb said:

Hi folks - I downloaded and am using Ccleaner 5.65 on a Win10 Pro system running McAfee Enterprise antivirus (managed by my company) and am having this same issue. Ccleaner was working fine until this latest update. I just tried running it and see the following in Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: CCleaner64.exe, version: 5.65.0.7632, time stamp: 0x5e7256e6
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1098, time stamp: 0xfabbdc8a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a46a7
Faulting process id: 0x760c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61cbb8cdbaaf2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 608d3240-3486-4e48-861e-654ae0d01de7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

At any rate, seems to me that the issue is not limited to TrendMicro. Any input here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have access to the whitelist function of McAfee enterprise?  I assume you have ypur tech administrator's permission to run ccleaner?

• Moderators

There were a couple of reports very soon after 5.65 was released that McAfee also blocking it, but the issue went away after a day or two as McAfee definitions updated for home users.

McAfee Enterprise may not have had the same update?, or your IT may not have applied the update yet?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad - thanks and good to know. I work for a large company and not sure what updates have been applied. I'm going to install on one of my other computers to see if it exhibits the same issue. Next step after that might be to our IT support org which is always fun. Thanks again

Cheers

• Moderators

As Nergal pointed out - Do you have permission from your employers/IT to install and use CCleaner?

Most employment contracts prohibit the installation/use of any third party software by employees unless IT approve it first.
It's not unknown for one employees to inadvertently install malware that then infects a whole organisation.
There is usually a list of approved software, and a process to get anything else you want/need approved.
It is often a disciplinary, or even sackable, breach to install software without permission.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043