Ewido 4 tray icon

JDPower

How do I stop the Ewido (version 4.0) tray icon from staying in the tray after I've closed the program? I've got it set not to start with Windows but every time I open Ewido the tray icon reappears and stays open even after I close the program. I've got the guard turned off and have disabled the Ewido Guard service disabled but the tray icon still persists after closing Ewido :angry:

CCleaner, Tools, Startup

Is it listed in there?

No, its not listed, its not set to run at startup and it doesn't. But every time I open Ewido it appears in the tray and stays there even after closing Ewido (have to right click the icon and exit it, very annoying)

You can disable the guard via Ewido itself. Also as already mentioned in services.msc to stop the guard from loading at all.

You all seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Just to emphasise, from my first post: I've got the guard turned off (in Ewido itself) and have disabled the Ewido Guard service (in services.msc).

The tray icon is not there at startup. The irritation is that when I open Ewido the tray icon appears and stays in the tray after closing Ewido

(I only updated to version 4 as the old one was giving an update nag screen :rolleyes: )

You all seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Just to emphasise, from my first post: I've got the guard turned off (in Ewido itself) and have disabled the Ewido Guard service (in services.msc).

The tray icon is not there at startup. The irritation is that when I open Ewido the tray icon appears and stays in the tray after closing Ewido

(I only updated to version 4 as the old one was giving an update nag screen :rolleyes: )

Please check that you have the item ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard disabled in services.msc With this setting the greyed out tray icon will appear when you run edwido but close when you close the scanner.

I have been using this setting since the release of 4 so, I do understand what you are saying ;)

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Please check that you have the item ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard disabled in services.msc With this setting the greyed out tray icon will appear when you run edwido but close when you close the scanner.

I have been using this setting since the release of 4 so, I do understand what you are saying ;)

I disabled it as you say as soon as I installed it, it was the first thing I did as I used to have the ewidoctrl service disabled in the old version. I have checked and just checked again and it IS disabled but the greyed out icon still stays in the tray after closing Ewido.

Like I said, I also have the guard disabled within the Ewido program and can't find any other settings that would have any effect on this :mellow:

I disabled it as you say as soon as I installed it, it was the first thing I did as I used to have the ewidoctrl service disabled in the old version. I have checked and just checked again and it IS disabled but the greyed out icon still stays in the tray after closing Ewido.

Like I said, I also have the guard disabled within the Ewido program and can't find any other settings that would have any effect on this :mellow:

Guess you must have another problem then. What you describe does happen if the service is set to manual instead of disable. Which is why I suggested you check the setting. Good luck in sorting it out.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Guess you must have another problem then. What you describe does happen if the service is set to manual instead of disable. Which is why I suggested you check the setting. Good luck in sorting it out.

Damn, guess I'll have to try a reinstall.

Hmmm, well that was strange, the reinstall fixed it. And for some reason, the shield was already disabled after the install this time (did a clean reinstall) with the shield section stating 'Not available in free version' (though I've still gone and disabled it in services just to be sure).

Oh well, all sorted now. Thanks for trying to help :)

• Moderators

I just wish the installer was a bit more like that in v3.5 which would allow the guard to be disabled during installation. However I guess they want people to at least try out the full commercial product for 30 days so they can decide if they wish to purchase it or not. A complete disabling via the program itself would be nice versus going through services.msc, but a few antivirus apps are also that way nowadays however they can be a bit more tricky as you can disable the systray icon but real-time protection may still be running unseen in the background.