Arovax Shield

Canary

I have installed Arovax Shield, and mostly it works fine.

But whenever I log on to my computer, I get the message: "Unable to find installed browser : Firefox".

I don't have Firefox. Any ideas on how I can avoid this annoying message from coming up all the time?

(I've visited the Arovax forums, but for some reason my cookies block me from posting there.)

Brilliant - that seems to have done the trick! (Although I already had the latest version installed.)

Does that mean I can now get rid of Norton? Does Arovax do everything that Norton does?

• Moderators

Norton what?

If you're talking about Norton AntiVirus or Norton Firewall protection no do not uninstall it because Arovax Shield is not antivirus or firewall software at all.

View the Arovax Shield website for a description of what it is. A quick about Arovax Shield can be viewed on the overview page.

Edit:

It is instead used with/alongside your already installed antispyware, antivirus, and firewall software to protect you against infection in the first place, it doesn't replace your existing antispyware, antivirus, or firewall software.

OK - thanks for putting me right on that!

I currently use Norton Antivirus, Spware Blaster, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Ewido and Windows Defender, as well as Arovax Shield. I also sometimes use SUPERAntiSpyware.

Iscan my system with Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido and Windows Defender AT LEAST weekly.

Given what I'm already using, when my Norton Antivirus subscription expires, should I renew it or use something else?

• Moderators

You need to however make a decision as to what will be your real-time antispyware protection since you have Windows Defender, Ewido Antispyware, Spybot SD's TeaTimer, and Arovax Shield. It isn't recommended that you have all of them running with real-time protection turned on, choose one of them for your real-time protection.

I'd personally use Ewido Antispyware as real-time protection and I am until the trial runs out in 15 or 16 days, then I'll switch back to Arovax Shield - however I know some people would instead prefer Windows Defender to Arovax Shield.

• Moderators

I recommend staying away from Norton, I have gave them too many chances. I just bought a laptop a week ago and it had a trial version of NIS 06 on it. So I paid $60 for the license and well, 2 days later I bought eTrust Internet Suite. Norton was giving me alot of crap. I have used many Norton products in hope they would work, but I have been disappointed in all of them.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

Norton is horrible, plain and simple.

@TwistedMetal

Too bad you wasted good money on it to only ditch it two days later for eTrust which is vastly better, and less expensive!

You'll want to use Avast's free antivirus. AVG misses way too much. ;)

Is there much difference in the amount of resources used between AVG and Avast (free versions) when just running in the background (ie not scanning)?

And does AVG really miss that much, I've had hardly any viruses since using AVG but you've got me worried now that maybe its just missing them :unsure:

• Moderators

Most do have misses and false warnings, but AVG does have it's misses. Weither it is alot or not, I don't know. But, I have used AVG and it did have a miss when I used it. I would listen to Tarun anyways, he's pretty intelligent when it comes to programs and security.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

yeah but avast slows down my computer way too much. i'm thinking of trying out AntiVir pretty soon. but i dunno.

i'm actually thinking the same thing about trying AntiVir out. I've looked up too them for two weeks now and still thinking. But I use Avast and it has found every virus I've encountered. It even warned me when I visted the Maxthon Fourms as that site as of right now has been hacked and contains 2 worms and a trojan.

I would listen to Tarun anyways, he's pretty intelligent when it comes to programs and security.

Hes not the only one that recommends programs in Security :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Of course he's not. BTW, nice Sig. :lol:

Well, my sig. is related to all Info. on Arovax programs.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

When I tried AVG 7 on my old Win98 comp I had to remove it very fast as it was causing all sorts of problems which is why I reluctantly stuck AntiVir on it. Also Avast won't ever allow the resident shield to load on that comp.

In my opinion the best antivirus for all Windows OSes that it supports is eTrust EZ Antivirus for it's detection and ability to allow Windows to run smoothly.

i'm thinking of trying out AntiVir pretty soon. but i dunno.

I hope you have a good customizable firewall installed that can block the annoying AntiVir Notifier otherwise get use to seeing it displaying an ad to upgrade to the commercial version every few updates. It gets annoying in a hurry. Also out of all the freeware av's it has the worst updater which is sometimes beyond slow.

Andavari,

Regarding what you said about not having more than one program working in real-time, I'm using Arovax Shield as real-time and only using the other programs to scan my system every few days.

But I still have two questions:

1) I didn't know Windows could give real-time protection. Does just having it installed mean it is giving real-time spyware protection?

2) Just to clarify, are you saying that none of Ewido, Windows Defender, Arovax Shield, Spybot and SpywareBlaster are replacements for Norton Antivirus?

Thanks

1) I didn't know Windows could give real-time protection. Does just having it installed mean it is giving real-time spyware protection?

2) Just to clarify, are you saying that none of Ewido, Windows Defender, Arovax Shield, Spybot and SpywareBlaster are replacements for Norton Antivirus?

Thanks

Don't mean to barge in but...

1)No (a misunderstanding methinks)

2)Yes

• Moderators

Thanks

Don't mean to barge in but...

1)No (a misunderstanding methinks)

2)Yes

JDPower answered it perfectly.

Try not to confuse the differences between antispyware and antivirus software as both are needed to keep your system clean.

Some searchs I did on Wikipedia.org that may be able to explain it better:

* Antispyware

* Antivirus

Just wanted to note that if you are wanting to know something do a search on Wikipedia.org, most likely you'll find an answer that is written very well.

I am currently running both Windows Defender and Arovax Shield......should I really only be running ONE of these? I know a lot of people on here are big advocates of Arovax products, but is Windows Defender still a good program?

• Moderators

I would suggest only running one of them.

I like defender because unlike arovax it has a spyware database backing it up and when it asks you to block something it usually has a lot of info about the process in question(making your decision easier)

Plus with defender you can schedual scans and updates so that you never have to remember to do them on your own.