Application not found

Firefox 67.0b13, Windows 10 Pro, CCleaner Portable versions 5.53, 5.55, 5.56

All of a sudden, when I try to run CCleaner from the recycle bin context menu, I get this

ccleaner.png.7f10f5702e6173f05064b9336445ea57.png

Perhaps it has something to do with being portable? I discovered it today after updating to v5.56.  I tried to go back to the previous versions I listed above,  which were previously working normally, but I'm still getting the same message.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, nolan_vode said:

Firefox 67.0b13, Windows 10 Pro, CCleaner Portable versions 5.53, 5.55, 5.56

All of a sudden, when I try to run CCleaner from the recycle bin context menu, I get this

ccleaner.png.7f10f5702e6173f05064b9336445ea57.png

Perhaps it has something to do with being portable? I discovered it today after updating to v5.56.  I tried to go back to the previous versions I listed above,  which were previously working normally, but I'm still getting the same message.

Portable.dat (the thing that makes/forces it to be portable) does indeed make context menu options such as recycle bin unavailable.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

58 minutes ago, Nergal said:

Portable.dat (the thing that makes/forces it to be portable) does indeed make context menu options such as recycle bin unavailable.

All I can say is that:

1)  I've been using the portable versions of CCleaner for years, and this was never an issue.

2)  Maybe I am misunderstanding your remarks, but my recycle bin context menu options are in place.  The problem is that when I try to "run" CCleaner from the context menu, I get the error message.  If I operate it from the CCleaner folder executable, it runs normally.

I just tried the same sequence of events on another Windows 10 computer, with pretty much the identical setup as the first computer.  CCleaner was working from the context menu before I replaced v5.55 with 5.56.  As soon as I tried to run 5.56, I got the same error message.

From then on, trying to revert back to earlier versions did no good.

• Moderators

I've never seen that Explorer.exe dialog error ever before, rather using the installed version or portable version of CCleaner.

Maybe this won't fix anything, but perhaps worth a try:
If you go into your version of CC Portable and open 'Options > Settings', then untick/disable both Recycle Bin options, followed by rebooting your system, and then after rebooting re-enable both Recycle Bin options if it will work as intended. Seems like either some location, permissions, UAC, or registration issue of the context menu items.

On 4/23/2019 at 19:56, Andavari said:

I've never seen that Explorer.exe dialog error ever before, rather using the installed version or portable version of CCleaner.

Maybe this won't fix anything, but perhaps worth a try:
If you go into your version of CC Portable and open 'Options > Settings', then untick/disable both Recycle Bin options, followed by rebooting your system, and then after rebooting re-enable both Recycle Bin options if it will work as intended. Seems like either some location, permissions, UAC, or registration issue of the context menu items.

Happy to report that it worked.  I didn't have to reboot.  Unchecked the 2 options, closed CCleaner, reopened CCleaner, rechecked the options, and it was back to normal.

Thanks!