What was the last version of CCleaner befor it became Spyware?

Special

• Moderators

Why do you think it's spyware, that's a drastic overstatement of the changes imho

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Because it is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

Spyware is software that aims to gather information about a person or organization without their knowledge, that may send such information to another entity without the consumer's consent, or that asserts control over a device without the consumer's knowledge.[1]

"Spyware" is mostly classified into four types: adware, system monitors, tracking cookies, and trojans;[2] examples of other notorious types include digital rights management capabilities that "phone home", keyloggers, rootkits, and web beacons.

Spyware is mostly used for the purposes of tracking and storing Internet users' movements on the Web and serving up pop-up ads to Internet users. Whenever spyware is used for malicious purposes, its presence is typically hidden from the user and can be difficult to detect. Some spyware, such as keyloggers, may be installed by the owner of a shared, corporate, or public computer intentionally in order to monitor users.

• Moderators

so by the definition provided in the first paragraph, it would be hard to not classify almost all software as spyware.
top of the list would be all Microsoft products, Windows included. :P

CC has been 'phoning home' for years.
so a better question may be "why the sudden interest?" :ph34r:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

That's not really a good counter argument, because others do it, it's okay to do.

And no CCleaner hasn't been doing this for years, only the "check for update" does that, but now every time you run a scan/clean it phones home. Get a firewall.

• Moderators

yep, block it at the firewall level.

How am I a troll? Anyway I found out that the last good version is v5.40.6411 before the spyware, so if anyone is wondering, it's that one.

Not that I would expect any answers coming from people here who have 8,734 / 5,438 / and 515 posts, you are either payed by Piriform/Avast, or you're so emotionally invested with this software where you've developed Stockholm Syndrome where you treat any kind of negative comment towards your baby that you feel the need to downplay it, defend it, or call people trolls.

Just remember, this company see you as a number on a spreadsheet, and nothing more, no need to defend them like I insulted your family member.

• Moderators

@Special
just so you know, all members (Moderators included) on this forum volunteer their time freely.
apart from the Admin team, who rarely contribute in everyday posts, no members have a loyalty to, or are on the payroll of, Piriform.

the number of posts is simply an indication of how long we have been doing this for.  nothing more than that should be read into it.
it is a friendly, community based forum that is mainly used to address problems with Piriform products but is also used (not so much these days) to discuss any topic someone cares to post about.
a quick search through other threads and you'll discover that even the Moderators often criticise Piriform and their products.

there is nothing wrong with having a good conspiracy theory - you just have to support it with verifiable, independent facts and sadly Wikipedia fails that test miserably.

starting a thread with a question "when did CCleaner become spyware?" was only ever going to go one of two ways...  those who agree with you and gave you your answer or the way it has.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Special said:

Not that I would expect any answers coming from people here who have 8,734 / 5,438 / and 515 posts, you are either payed by Piriform/Avast, or you're so emotionally invested with this software where you've developed Stockholm Syndrome

Nobody on the mod team is employed by Piriform/Avast, and who else is going to more likely answer tons of posts on a user forum that would be other volunteer users because the people who make the software surely don't have time since they've got to fix the software they've obviously made buggy as hell.

I'm confused here:

"Spyware is software that aims to gather information about a person or organization without their knowledge..."

The Terms of Use & Privacy Statement outline exactly what data is gathered & how it is to be used.  And in the Settings we have control over what data is to be collected on a continual basis.  So how is that considered to be Spyware?  To me it appears that I'm downloading this software WITH full knowledge of what info is being collected, stored and used about me.   At any time I can request the information that Piriform/Avast as stored AND formally request they delete all the personal data collected.  To me it sounds like the exact opposite of what Spyware does.  

I am NOT paid by Piriform/Avast I am NOT emotionally invested in any software.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, BigGuyWhoKills said:

Sorry to necro this thread, but it came up when I was researching if CCleaner was still shady.  Seems it still is:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-using-ccleaner-windows/

That's fine, you're just looking for answers.

Yes it's still buggy, you can view comments, etc., about it that are more current that this topic by looking in the CCleaner section of the forum located here:
https://forum.piriform.com/forum/4-ccleaner/

While allot of people have issues with different things in CCleaner from installation issues, crashing, etc., I've personally not encountered any issues using CCleaner Portable v5.63.7540 (most current version as of writing this) - although I consider myself very lucking compared to the issues it's giving other people who have taken the time to report bugs.