35 Pass Wipe Took Up All Free Space

mboozer

Did a 35 Pass Wipe for Free Space on Win10Pro Machine 1 Terabyte HDD NTFS. Before the wipe, the drive had 500 GB of data. After the wipe was complete, it now has 900 GB of data but I can't find the extra 400 GB. Is the 400 GB the 1's and 0's that were written on the free space? I did not do a "Wipe MFT Free Space" as I'm now afraid to wipe again. Any ideas on how to get my 400 GB back? Thanks.

Yep. Thought that would do it but it didn't. Drive properties still showing the extra 400 GB. BTW - No wierd looking file names in Explorer either. I only have 6 or so directories on the drive so CCleaner did not write any thing that I can see except for those dog-gone 1's and 0's - lol

• Moderators

You should have one or more files with long apparently random names in the root directory with a create date of the wipe. And of approx 400 gb in total. Delete them.

Overwriting 35 times is, well, what can I say, rather excessive. That's writing about 18 terabytes of data to your drive when a single pass of 500 gb would have done just as well. The 35 pass overwrite is pointless, decades out of date and a waste of your time which you could spend mining for bitcoins, or some other ridiculous exercise the human race is prone to follow.

• Moderators

You could download Recuva (portable) if you haven't alrready, in Advanced Mode Options/Actions check Scan for Non-Deleted Files (don't check Deep Scan) and run it. Then l/click on the State column header to sort the results, which will bring the Non deleted files to the top, and look if there are any unrecognised large files there. Or l/click on Size to order by size. If you find anything you can then delete them in Explorer, not Recuva.There are other ways of finding files on a disk, I'm sure.

• Moderators

There may also be some hidden Windows 10 recovery partitions on the disc taking up memory.

I came across these a while back when a friends computer was acting strange with memory like that.

I was these hidden partitions.  Once I deleted them the memory came back.

The major win10 updates can leave these behind.

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't look but a bit of googling should find more about the subject.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Tried Recuva. Didn't work. Explorer says 1 TB drive is Healthy, 0% Fragmented, and no partitions when viewed through Disk Manager. What the heck? 400 GB I oughta see something. Want to try CCleaner 1-Pass Overwrite on top of the 35-Pass to see if it solves the problem but afraid I'll run out of disk space if this happens again. 

DAH - Found the problem. Not related to CCleaner. I showed hidden files and saw a backup on the drive that I didn't notice before. Deleted the archived backup copies and whalla! Got my space back. - DAH.  Sorry for thinking it was the 35-pass wipe and taking up your time but you guys did help in getting me to think about this until I got it fixed. Thanks! :)

you do realize 35 passes was designed to use random encoding on drives from 1996 and before that. Nearly all of it's passes do nothing. Logical guess it's retained to stop weekly threads asking for it to be implemented. Peter Gutmanns follow up. "years" later.

In fact performing the full 35-pass overwrite is pointless for any drive since it targets a blend of scenarios involving all types of (normally-used) encoding technology, which covers everything back to 30+-year-old MFM methods (if you don't understand that statement, re-read the paper). If you're using a drive which uses encoding technology X, you only need to perform the passes specific to X, and you never need to perform all 35 passes.

No fate but what we make

Expanding on that even back in 1996 35 passes was pointless. It was a method designed to cover all bases, which was not understood by most and lead to a lot of criticism. It was never intended to set a standard. Was simply his own work.

No fate but what we make