Windows System Tray Icons

TheFiresInTheSky

my friend was downloading some stuff from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and all the taskbar icons went SUPER small on him. is there a fix other than searching that whole site?

050820061626376pt.jpg

Its difficult to help solve this unless we know exactly what files you used from there as it could of made alot of changes to the registry. It might be worth trying the Taskbar repair tool from that site and see if it can reverse the changes

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

• Moderators

That's the reason to make a backup of the system registry either with System Restore or ERUNT before using tweaks rather it's something on Kellys, or even some of the things in MS Tweak UI that may contain vague descriptions. It's especially important if you don't have any ideal of what all the exact changes will be. I still backup the registry on my system before using so-called tweaks, merely because I know if I don't it may take a long time to undo something.

• 2 weeks later...

get rid of aim triton, go to oldversion.com and get the older versions, or get Trillian

its my friends computer.

also your friend was not having problems with his system tray icons. the systray icons are the icons on the very right and not the ones in the middle.

i realized that BUT theres no way to change the TITLE after you've posted a thread.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Its difficult to help solve this unless we know exactly what files you used from there as it could of made alot of changes to the registry. It might be worth trying the Taskbar repair tool from that site and see if it can reverse the changes

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Hi Guys,

I`m new to the forum, but have been using CCleaner for some time now. Fantastic program.

I wish I had known about it before I shelled out money for Registry Mechanic, although that appears to be a good program as well, and I run them both.

Just out of interest, I`ve never had a problem after running CCleaner with everything checked, even "Fix Issues". But I have lost a couple of single Windows Media files after running "Registry Mechanic". No problem, but I thought worth a mention.

I actually came to the forum to find out if anyone knew how to get rid of defunct icons in the system tray. I thought it would be a great new function for the CCleaner itself.

I`ve never uninstalled a program yet that didn`t leave it`s icon in the "System Tray Past Icons" window.

I know I can hide them, but I know they`re there, and I`m sure they are sitting there pulling faces at me, and laughing.

Am I getting paranoid ? Absolutely. I could happily crawl into the system tray and rip the little ******* into lots of little pieces. However, the program mentioned in the attached post may be just what I`m looking for to save my sanity.

Can do most things with my PC. But this little irritation has up until now stumped me, and I`ve done a few searches on the web. I will try TaskBar Repair Tool, but any comments would be appreciated.

This looks like a good forum. Will visit more often.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, and good luck to all for 2007.

I`ve never uninstalled a program yet that didn`t leave it`s icon in the "System Tray Past Icons" window.

I agree with your view but IMHO I don't think erunt or sys restore are reliable enough.

Norton Ghost or True Image are a far better option.

Using Reg backups - if anything is changed and or deleted they are set back to default as per backup, but if anything is added before the the backup, they remain.

• Moderators

The icons in Custom Notifications can be dealt with by CCleaner if you enable: Cleaner -> Advanced -> Tray Notifications Cache

You have to end task Explorer.exe, and a reboot afterwards may be required.

A much easier way IMO is to visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download: 53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area

it's best to reboot immediately afterwards so that any changes you make to Custom Notifications will stick.

• Moderators

Wow. I knew this was a good forum.

I`ve only been out the house for 20 minutes, (taxi driver for my daughter), and I`ve got replies from Australia and USA. Small world guys.

Thankyou Humpty, and thankyou Andavari. I have`nt had time to try your suggestions yet, but I did actually tick the Tray Notifications Cache before I came onto here, but I wasn`t sure if that actually was the part of the System Tray I want to clean or not, and I wasn`t certain whether it would remove all icons from System Tray or not, so I bottled out.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

• Moderators

The icons in Custom Notifications can be dealt with by CCleaner if you enable: Cleaner -> Advanced -> Tray Notifications Cache

You have to end task Explorer.exe, and a reboot afterwards may be required.

A much easier way IMO is to visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download: 53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area

it's best to reboot immediately afterwards so that any changes you make to Custom Notifications will stick.

:D Awesome.

Downloaded and saved No.53 from "Kelleys-Korner".

Didn`t even have to do anything. Clicked on "run", sat back and watched the little bastards get nuked. (Sorry for the language). Does exactly what it says on the packet.

Thanks to Andavari for the fabulous link, and thanks to Humpty as well for the very quick reply.

You know guys, I`ve tried one or two forums before, but I`ve waited for days & weeks, thinking I was possibly the only person left alive, before anyone bothered to reply. And in some cases I`ve never received replies. And in the space of 30 minutes here, my little enemies have been exterminated.

I wish Kelleys-Korner had a similar program for Iraq. Could get my Son home quicker.

Anyway, thanks for your help, but I`ll be back soon as I`m delving into the mysteries of the REGISTRY. When you go searching in there, you still find a lot of entries left from defunct programs, even after running CCleaner and the other one I mentioned.

Does this matter ? Not really. But it`s great fun finding out what you can and cannot do. This may seem a bit foolhardy, but I`m lucky insofar that I have a 6gb recovery partion I can fall back on. Worth its weight in Gold.

Thanks Again

Happy New Year

• Moderators

I`ll be back soon as I`m delving into the mysteries of the REGISTRY.

Just make sure you make a registry backup first before getting all happy inside the registry. System Restore and/or ERUNT are quick ways to undo any improper registry cleaning and can save you from having to reinstall Windows.

• Moderators

Just make sure you make a registry backup first before getting all happy inside the registry. System Restore and/or ERUNT are quick ways to undo any improper registry cleaning and can save you from having to reinstall Windows.

Thanks again Andavari,

I`ve actually got Erunt installation file in my recieved files folder, but I`ve never installed it.

Before doing so, I read somewhere that a guy used it, but had serious problems actually doing the restore itself.

All depends on the operator of course, but if you use it, your observations would be most welcome.

What I`m endeavouring to find out in the registry, is how to safely delete quite large entries in there from uninstalled programs such as Yahoo Messenger.

There`s a lot of stuff in there from a lot of files and programs I`ve previously deleted or uninstalled, that CCleaner & Registry Mechanic never pick up, but I wouldn`t delete anything unless I knew enough about it.

This is a risky thing to mess about with, but I`m treading very, very carefully, and am really looking and learning at the moment as opposed to touching.

I may give up on this eventually, but I`ve got loads of time on my hands, and have always enjoyed learning something new.

Regards