CCleaner question

SaiyaMel

?I just made a fresh system restore today and installed the latest version of CC... now..before i do a wash - i would like to know if it'll delete my System Restore (under "Accesories" and "System tools") restore points? if so - is there a way of configuring CC so it wont?

Possible feature suggestion? Add 'Remove all but most recent restore point' to the advanced section. Its something I do fairly regularly as I like to have system restore running but don't like to have any more restore points than necessary and currently the only way I know to remove old ones is through disk cleanup which is pretty slow to open.

I think that's a great Idea! Especially since Windows Defender loves creating restore points without notifying the user that it is creating them.

The ability to keep the most recent user generated restore point would also be a great feature in my opinion. I'm sure that would be more difficult than just retaining the last one be it system created or user created though.

Btw, you can also clear restore points by turning off system restore and then restarting it. This also clears all the restore points but it's a little faster I think.

• Moderators

I've cleaned restore points both ways mentioned through Disk Cleanup and by turning System Restore on then off. Disk Cleanup is way to slow because of the scanning it does of compress old files. Although I will disagree, I don't think CCleaner should mess with restore points at all.

Although I will disagree, I don't think CCleaner should mess with restore points at all.

Hence the reason I suggested it as an addition to the advanced section. I understand why you would say that but anything in the advanced section personally I only tick when I want to use them, ie they aren't permanently ticked, and as the advanced section is unticked by default (and gives a warning message for dangerous settings) I think it would be a perfectly safe addition. Most new users won't go near the advanced section anyway and the ones that do would almost certainly be scared off by a warning message.

@Andavari

There is a simple fix to stop the Compress Old Files checking in Disk Cleanup....do the following:

Open Regedit to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files

In the righthand pane creat a new String Value and (arbitrarily) name it: originalDefault

Open the Default string, COPY the value, close the string (i.e. hit ESC), open your new originalDefault, PASTE the value, close the string (i.e. hit Enter)

Re-open the Default string and DELETE the value, close the string (i.e. Enter)

Now your Disk Cleanup will NOT perform the Compress Old Files check when you run it. The reason for the new string value is only to "hold on" to the original value in case you want to re-enable checking the Compress Old Files item.

This will work on ALL Windows XP systems and will NOT damage or cripple anything. It simply disables the Compress Old Files checking item in the Disk Cleanup list. Now Disk Cleanup will run quickly and efficiently.