ccleaner.exe and cleaner64.exe

jparson

I was just curious as to why both of these are installed when I download the 64 bit version?

Interesting, ccleaner.exe (32 bit version) is used when I right-click recycle bin and select run ccleaner. I switched that in regedit to ccleaner64.exe and deleted ccleaner.exe (32 bit version) & it works perfectly fine. 

I'm just wondering why ccleaner 32 bit version is handling that? Shouldn't it be the 64 bit version?

• Moderators

As I understand it both versions are included in the installer simply so there is only one installer that needs to be downloaded whichever system you have.

As for where the desktop/taskbar/context menu shortcuts point to by default ????

All mine point to the 64-bit, and as you have found you can delete the 32-bit version of the .exe without any problems.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

As I understand it both versions are included in the installer simply so there is only one installer that needs to be downloaded whichever system you have.

As for where the desktop/taskbar/context menu shortcuts point to by default ????

All mine point to the 64-bit, and as you have found you can delete the 32-bit version of the .exe without any problems.

Not without any problems. I still have to go into regedit & change the run ccleaner path to point to the 64 bit version. I think someone overlooked that.

• Moderators

Any launch of ccleaner.exe (32bit) on a 64bit machine automatically hands off the process to ccleaner64.exe

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com