Defragged both of my drives, both went down to 0% defragmentation and yet no space was freed up

rolein

Hi all,

My C: Drive (2TB) was at 17% defragmentation and my D: drive (1 TB) was at 36%, both went down to 0% and barely any space was freed up. Is this normal? Should there not have been a pretty significant change? 

I thought it'd be cool to take a screenshot beforehand to see the difference before and after so I'll link those here: http://imgur.com/hlsJ5ri

I also just realized the before picture isn't on the Drive tab but instead on the drive map tab, but to give you an idea it listed over 200GB as fragmented on at least one of them, maybe both, I'm not quite sure anymore. However it was definitely a pretty large number on both, an amount that if really freed would be quite amazing frankly. 

I'm working with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and of course Defraggler. 

I have looked into this and the usual suspects for windows 7 being Shadow copies and system restore points should definitely not be at fault here. I tried to delete both of them and for both it kept telling me that it didn't exist. They are taking up no space whatsoever as far as I can tell. Here is what I'm getting when I try to list the shadows: http://imgur.com/a/pvDpo Trying to delete them gives me the same message.  

Any thoughts? If you need any more information.. ask away. 

Thanks in advance,

Rolein.

• Moderators

Defragmenting on it's own does not create any more space on the disk, it just moves the data that is 'split-up' into one place. (or at least closer together).

The data still takes up the the same number of bytes, just all in one place instead of being spread over the disk.

To free up space you would have to delete temporary files, unwanted files, duplicate files, etc.

Use Windows Disk clean-up, CCleaner, or another 3rd party temporary/duplicate file cleaner.

The other way to more free space on a disk is to compress the files in some way.

There are plenty of file compression tools out there, how much they compress files will vary and will also depend on the type of file being compressed.

(And of course if you are sending compressed files to someone else then you have to make sure that they can decompress them).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@rolein,

did you run DF with these options ticked; Stop VSS, Exclude restore points, Exclude hibernation file ?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@mta

I could only find the Stop VSS option in the options menu and can tell you it was not ticked. As for the others, there was an exclusion tab in the options menu, but nothing was in there if that is what you were talking about. Hopefully that answers your question. 

• Moderators

run DF again with all those options ticked.

that should prevent DF from using up your space.

Stop VSS is the important one, when unticked, there have been reports of it creating restore point or shadow copies (can't remember exactly) until the cows come home.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.