HOW TO ENTER BIOS

TheFiresInTheSky

ive tried all the keys practically. its like somebody locked it up. its an american megatrends. released 5-3-02. amibios ?1999 american megatrends inc. if that helps any. it says press del but wen i do that it gives me choices. safe mode, normal, safemode with network. i dont get it.

ive tried all the keys practically. its like somebody locked it up. its an american megatrends. released 5-3-02. amibios ?1999 american megatrends inc. if that helps any. it says press del but wen i do that it gives me choices. safe mode, normal, safemode with network. i dont get it.

It sounds like that's the OS and not the BIOS.

Have you tried holding down F1, F2, or ESC? Hold one of them down as soon as the machine is turned on. Also make sure the floppy drive and the CD drive are empty. You could also try this: There should also be microswitches on your motherboard to reset the BIOS and any passwords that have been installed. You turn off the PC, move the two switches to their other position, turn on the PC, wait for a message on the screen saying they've been reset, turn off the PC, move the switches back, and then turn it on again.

Let me know the brand and model number of the PC and maybe I can tell you where the switches are if you don't see them.

Good luck!

it said delete but that didnt work and i tried pressing it repeatedly and that happened to work. now im screwing it up trying to partition it and put linux on it and i think i just wiped out XP completely from the system. o well, this is how people learn i guess... anyone know of good guides to learn linux?

ps, where exactly are those switches? gotta picture?

On my PC [HP] the switches are on the right side of the motherboard just above the connector for the on/off switch. It's a tiny group of 6 switches about 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch. It varies by manufacturer and some PCs use jumper wires instead. What make and model are your PC? Sorry, I couldn't find a good picture yet.

Here is some info about Linux from Slackware, hopefully it will help.

It sounds like that's the OS and not the BIOS.

Have you tried holding down F1, F2, or ESC? Hold one of them down as soon as the machine is turned on. Also make sure the floppy drive and the CD drive are empty. You could also try this: There should also be microswitches on your motherboard to reset the BIOS and any passwords that have been installed. You turn off the PC, move the two switches to their other position, turn on the PC, wait for a message on the screen saying they've been reset, turn off the PC, move the switches back, and then turn it on again.

Let me know the brand and model number of the PC and maybe I can tell you where the switches are if you don't see them.

Good luck!

If you have never used Linux before, you might want to get a Live CD. Example, "Ubuntu Linux" has a Live CD, you download a .ISO and burn it (or order an free CD). Then you just put the CD in the computer, and restart and it boots the CD and loads up Linux without installing anything or touching the system.

It might also be good to install it on a separate harddisk if you have more than one harddisk.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

If you have never used Linux before, you might want to get a Live CD. Example, "Ubuntu Linux" has a Live CD, you download a .ISO and burn it (or order an free CD). Then you just put the CD in the computer, and restart and it boots the CD and loads up Linux without installing anything or touching the system.

It might also be good to install it on a separate harddisk if you have more than one harddisk.

OMG, you've got me intrigued now!!

So I'm going to hit you with a few questions, if you don't mind :D

Your saying you don't need to install this on to a HD?

How does it compare if I did install it? Is it stable?

If I'm running from the CD could I jump back to windows, or even if I do install it can I jump between OS?

One last one for now, I do install it onto my HD, how easy is it to boot to it, would I have to restart the PC and will I get a "which OS would you like to boot up" type of question?

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I've been wanting Linux OS for ages and couldn't seem to find one that was so easy to use.

OMG, you've got me intrigued now!!

So I'm going to hit you with a few questions, if you don't mind :D

Your saying you don't need to install this on to a HD?

How does it compare if I did install it? Is it stable?

If I'm running from the CD could I jump back to windows, or even if I do install it can I jump between OS?

One last one for now, I do install it onto my HD, how easy is it to boot to it, would I have to restart the PC and will I get a "which OS would you like to boot up" type of question?

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I've been wanting Linux OS for ages and couldn't seem to find one that was so easy to use.

you dont need to install it if you dont want to. just download and burn the live iso. if you did install it im not quite sure but it is faster seeing that it doesnt run off a cd then. you can just take the cd out, reboot from HD, and theres windows, just as you left it. not sure about the jumping between os's. i know it can be done but you have to partition your HD and i myself would like some help on that one. they say its easy if you know what your doing but i tried it and ended up deleting my HD yesterday, good thing i backed up all my files! they say it will pop up asking you which OS you want to run. you just select which one. i just got ubuntu installed and it is VERY confusing. i dont even know how to access my HD. any good guides out there?

this link may be better, http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

hope ive helped!

aaron (the return)

moved linux topic here.