Virtual Memory

krit86lr

What is the best configuration for my virtual memory setup? I don't know how these settings affect my computer so I need some help please. :)

WinXP Pro SP2

640MB of RAM

AMD Athlon Processor 1.00GHz

Page File: 274MB used

vm4fc.th.jpg

Thanks!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

640 min, 640 max.

I notice that you recommend a smaller setting than most. I know Microsoft's 1.5X to 3X RAM isn't logical and that there's no advantage to setting virtual memory size larger than my programs will use but (assuming I have the drive space) is there a disadvantage to a larger setting?

Windows typically recommends system RAM times 1.5. If you had 8 GB of RAM, it would recommend a swap file of 12GB, which of course is retarded. Basically, Windows doesn't make recommendations based on actual real-life reasoning, it just does some static math. At 512MB, systems run pretty well, but still use VM when running a lot of apps or playing games. 640 is pretty close to not needing a page file at all. I have 1024MB of RAM myself, and in the worst case scenario, I'm using 700 MB of it (I have virtual memory turned off). She most likely won't be using more than 1280MB of RAM, so 640 is just fine. That means that she would first have to use 640 MB of RAM, then use 640 more MB of RAM before the system would warn you or programs would stop launching. You'd then adjust the setting to be higher, but it's unlikely it will ever happen to her unless a program starts memory leaking like crazy, or a driver runs away with the system. If that happened, the process would likely stop leaking memory and just crash after it peaked at >1280MB of RAM usage.

Edit: there's no disadvantage to an unnecessarily large page file (it simply just won't access it unless it *has* to) except for hard drive space being used for no real purpose.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

640 min, 640 max.

That may or may not be the best setting; it depends very much what you are running on your system.

During peak running time, when most applications you use are running, check the Task Manager's Performance tab, and see how much of the page file is used. If it is close to the maximum, then I would certainly apply the 1.5X rule.

In fact I never want to run into a situation where I am running out of virtual memory - that is not a funny situation! So defining the page file max as large as possible, you are just going to be safer.

@ DjLizard:

8 GB of RAM?! Holy crap dude, how much did you drop on your mobo? :P

But seriously, thanks for the info. I had the same question as Glenn and Rochip, so that is good to know for future reference.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

640 min, 640 max.

Got it! :D

Many thanks...

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

"If you had 8 GB of RAM"...

Yeah, I know, I was just kidding.

There aren't many boards that support that much memory right now, so I was in awe at your figure. Not mention WinXP 32-bit can't recognize over 4 GBs anyway. But theoretically, yeah, a 20 GB pagefile is slightly excessive. :P

Thanks again for the info. :)

ding, ding!

The first computer I ever used had 4KB (not 4GB!) of RAM...

LMAO... :lol:

The first computer I ever used had 4KB (not 4GB!) of RAM...

Haha, that's awesome!

To put it in perspective, my graphing calculator has 128k of RAM, and it only weighs a 1.5 pounds!!

ding, ding!

Haha, that's awesome!

To put it in perspective, my graphing calculator has 128k of RAM, and it only weighs a 1.5 pounds!!

Does your precious graphing calculator have enough RAM to extrapolate how many times you've managed to mention it in the forum :P:D ?

I'm sure it doesn't have enough RAM to extrapolate how many times lokoike has outwitted me especially since the number grows exponentially every few minutes.

Maybe IBM's Big Blue could do it given enough time.

Does your precious graphing calculator have enough RAM to extrapolate how many times you've managed to mention it in the forum :P:D ?

Yeah, I know, it's pretty sad. What can I say, I love the little guy!

ding, ding!