geforce fx 5200

oli

i was just looking at the top of my comp and it says that my graphics card has tv output / dvi. i was just wondering what sort of cable i need to do this

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

i was just looking at the top of my comp and it says that my graphics card has tv output / dvi. i was just wondering what sort of cable i need to do this

By TV output, they are either referring to an RCA or an S-Video cable? Here are some pictures, in case you aren't sure what those are:

RCA video cable:

13%20feet%20Video%20RCA%20Cable.jpg

S-Video cable:

B0002MQGK4.01-A385A0XNQBW8HY._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Almost any TV, old or new, has an RCA video input. S-Video, on the other hand, is a newer technology, so only newer TVs and DVD/VHS players will have S-Video inputs.

If your computer's video card has an RCA out, you will want a male-male RCA video cable that is long enough to make it to your TV or DVD/VHS player. It will probably have a yellow end on it, like in the picture above. If the end is red or white, it is for audio, not video.

If your computer's video card has an S-Video out instead, than get a male-male S-Video cable. S-Video cable will probably be slightly more expensive, but the quality will be better.

Let me know if this is what you needed, or if you have any other questions.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

thanks my comp has that rca input, i can see that, my tv defo has s-video i will just have to hunt for a rca input. ahh i found one on the back of the dvd player sweet. im going to try and get one today thanks a lot

actually connected to s video on both graphics card and dvd player. but i cant get this thing to work, the computer does not detect the dvd player and i cant see a picture on the dvd player. any ideas on what to do??

can u actually connect the graphics card to the tv through the dvd player??

actually connected to s video on both graphics card and dvd player. but i cant get this thing to work, the computer does not detect the dvd player and i cant see a picture on the dvd player. any ideas on what to do??

can u actually connect the graphics card to the tv through the dvd player??

I have a feeling it is just a matter of programming your DVD player/TV properly. Do this:

First, make sure that your TV is getting video from your DVD player. When you use your TV's remote, if you get down to channel 1, and then hit back one more time, you should be on a video channel. Either that, or your remote will have a video channel button right on it.

Basically what I mean by this is that you will not be receiving a signal from your antenna or cable, like you would on a numbered channel. Instead, you would be receiving video from your DVD player. The Video 1/Video 2/Cmpnt Video, or whatever those channels are called, refer to the input ports on the TV. For example, if you have a device hooked to the RCA ports on the front of the TV, that might be your Video 1 channel. The Video 2 channel might be your RCA ports on the back. The Cmpnt Video channel would be your component video ports on the TV, etc.

So, you will want to use your TV remote and set it up so that your TV is receiving video from the cable that connects your DVD player to your TV. Then, the next step is similar to the first. You will want to use your DVD player's remote to make it receive video from the computer's video card, via your S-Video cable. So, instead of having the DVD player send video from a DVD to the TV (which is the default), have it send video from the computer instead. Depending on which input on the DVD player you have your computer connected to, that will determine which video channel you will set your DVD player to use.

If you have your channels set up properly, the video should pop right up on your TV. Sorry if this is confusing, I know it is a lot of information to take in. Basically, you set this up the same way you would if you were connecting a video game system to your DVD player, if that makes it any easier.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

I have a feeling it is just a matter of programming your DVD player/TV properly. Do this:

First, make sure that your TV is getting video from your DVD player. When you use your TV's remote, if you get down to channel 1, and then hit back one more time, you should be on a video channel. Either that, or your remote will have a video channel button right on it.

Basically what I mean by this is that you will not be receiving a signal from your antenna or cable, like you would on a numbered channel. Instead, you would be receiving video from your DVD player. The Video 1/Video 2/Cmpnt Video, or whatever those channels are called, refer to the input ports on the TV. For example, if you have a device hooked to the RCA ports on the front of the TV, that might be your Video 1 channel. The Video 2 channel might be your RCA ports on the back. The Cmpnt Video channel would be your component video ports on the TV, etc.

So, you will want to use your TV remote and set it up so that your TV is receiving video from the cable that connects your DVD player to your TV. Then, the next step is similar to the first. You will want to use your DVD player's remote to make it receive video from the computer's video card, via your S-Video cable. So, instead of having the DVD player send video from a DVD to the TV (which is the default), have it send video from the computer instead. Depending on which input on the DVD player you have your computer connected to, that will determine which video channel you will set your DVD player to use.

If you have your channels set up properly, the video should pop right up on your TV. Sorry if this is confusing, I know it is a lot of information to take in. Basically, you set this up the same way you would if you were connecting a video game system to your DVD player, if that makes it any easier.

Lokoike, that was a really well written set of instructions :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

yeah thats what i thought, a first what seemed very technical essentially is just pressing the source button on the tv i think. just that i looked on the nvidia site after i bought the cable and it said that if you put someting inbetween the graphics card and the tv like a vcr it wont work

Lokoike, that was a really well written set of instructions :)

Thank you. :)

@ oli:

just that i looked on the nvidia site after i bought the cable and it said that if you put someting inbetween the graphics card and the tv like a vcr it wont work

Could you post a link to the article that says that? I was just curious how they worded it. I suppose that is possible that it wouldn't work, but I don't really see why it wouldn't. All that the video card has to do is send video to the DVD player. The DVD player does the rest of the work of sending the video to the TV. Really, you should be able to link up any number of devices and still have no troubles at all. Let me know what you find out.

ding, ding!

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....li=&p_topview=1

"Check that you have connected the graphics card directly to your TV. If there is another device in between your TV and the graphics card (such as a VCR, switch box, satellite dish, receiver etc.) it will interfere with the graphic card's ability to properly detect the presence of your TV. This will result in the inability to select your TV as an output device from within Windows. To prevent this, please ensure that the graphics card is connected directly to your TV. "

i thought this was a bit stupid aswell

i really could not see how dvi connected to the tv, probably have to buy a converter which would defeat the point of it

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....li=&p_topview=1

"Check that you have connected the graphics card directly to your TV. If there is another device in between your TV and the graphics card (such as a VCR, switch box, satellite dish, receiver etc.) it will interfere with the graphic card's ability to properly detect the presence of your TV. This will result in the inability to select your TV as an output device from within Windows. To prevent this, please ensure that the graphics card is connected directly to your TV. "

i thought this was a bit stupid aswell

Interesting. Thanks for the link. :)

So, I'm guessing you have a DVI out (the white rectangular one), a VGA out (the blue one with 15 holes, for older monitors) and an S-Video out? My suggestion is to go to RadioShack, or some other cable/adapter retailer and get a male S-Video -> male RCA video cable. They may call it by a different name, but if you look at the pics above, it will be the end of the S-Video cable on one side, and the end of the of the RCA video cable on the other side. That way, you can hook your computer directly to your TV.

Also, an adapter like that should only cost like $4 or so. I'll try to find you a link to one online and post it here later.

EDIT: Ok, here is what you want, and more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...103#DetailSpecs

This is a VIVO (video in/video out) cable. This is an S-Video cable that converts to RCA out, RCA in, S-Video out, and S-Video in; four cables in one! All for $5! w00t! Ater seeing that, I'm thinking about getting one! :D

Hope this helps you out. It should solve all of your connecting needs.

ding, ding!

lol look at my other posts i already got it working. you got overexcited, thanks anyway

Really? Did you post it in a different thread? The last comment I see is:

i really could not see how dvi connected to the tv, probably have to buy a converter which would defeat the point of it

Either way, I'm glad it is fixed now! And yes, cables take me to my happy place. :D

ding, ding!

i also just tried this with my other computer using an rca cable, it was odd how it worked putting it through the vcr, maybe because it uses an ati card.

also i would suggest not buying one of those multi cables, i bought one to connect my xbox to my old tv and it also had connections for gamecube and ps2 but this made it so there was loads of interference

also i would suggest not buying one of those multi cables, i bought one to connect my xbox to my old tv and it also had connections for gamecube and ps2 but this made it so there was loads of interference

It probably wasn't a very good cable. I've used plenty of multi-ended cables, and have had some that worked great, and some that didn't work so great. Just be careful not to buy splitters/connectors that don't have some sort of amplifier. For some things, like extending ethernet or phone line, that will usually work fine, but if you try to extend a USB cable without amplifying it, you will lose loads of performance.

ding, ding!