Cleaning Registry causes "no internet connection"

BoltPow3r

Hey,

'been using crapcleaner for a few years. So now I upgraded to win10 and when I run Registry cleaner, the next time I start my PC there is no internet connection. 

So I run the troubleshooter and it says "missing network protocols...". Luckily I saved the registries so I just loaded them back and after I restart the PC, there is a network connection, the internet works fine after that.

I can provide the reg file (its 2.4MB) if that will help.

• Moderators

Was there a reason why you felt you had to run the Registry Cleaner?

It's not really to be used like the 'ordinary' part of Ccleaner. Also with Win 10 being so new and changing seemingly with each Update it's not a good idea doing a reg clean.

By the way, big big kudos to you for doing the reg backup :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hmm, well I've got nothing else to say except that I've been doing it for years. Since XP I believe. Back then when I did that, I always thought the PC ran just a tad faster or smoother if you will. 

Other than that I dont really know why. I do that every month or so. Run CCleaner, run the Cleaner, run the Registry, wipe free space etc etc...

Yeah, I always make backups, you never know when it might BSOD.

Is there a reason why or why not, should I not be doing this? 

• Moderators

We get a lot of posters who blindly clean everything in the registry cleaning section without even knowing/understanding what they are cleaning and a high proportion of them don't make a backup.

Then they post and ask how they can fix things.  That's why it was so refreshing that you made a backup and fixed it yourself :)

With Windows 10 it's a bit of an unknown area at the moment. Things are constantly changing and Edge for example is causing issues for Ccleaner. A few antivirus programs have issues with Win 10 as does some other types of software

Perhaps 'til things settle down with10, go easy on the reg cleaning.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 1 month later...

Hi,

BoltPow3r is not the only one.

I`ve been using ccleaner for years and have always clicked "cleaner" and then "registry" and had no problems until just before Christmas i lost internet connection.

Had to restore my computer to an earlier time. Then did it again another couple of times.

Now i know its ccleaner thats doing it, will not be using again.

• Moderators

It's not ccleaner at fault here, it's caused by blindly cleaning the registry despite ccleaner giving multiple chances (per entry to be removed) for the user to look at the entry and make an educated decision on if it should be removed.

Please read my signature, which applies whether you continue to use ccleaner or move to another registry cleaning solution. That said, I've never found a more gentle (less likely to cause issues via removal of necessary keys) registry cleaner than ccleaner; this is why so many people have experiences like where they "never before had problems" with registry cleaning.

Metaphorically speaking, I live in the desert and often go walking, I've never been bitten by a snake nor attacked by a coyote; this doesn't preclude me from being injured by these very dangerous animals and does not mean that I can be oblivious to the dangers they present.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com