Ccleaner opens up wrong browser

CharlieLima79

Hello,

I've been using Ccleaner for a few years now, ever since Windows 7 days. I think after I upgraded to Windows 8, I started noticing Ccleaner opening up Internet Explorer when I asked it to update (including when I clicked on the pear logo). However, Internet Explorer was not my default browser. (My default browser is Chrome.) I didn't think much of it back then as I did occasionally switch to use Internet Explorer.

Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10, Ccleaner continues to open up Internet Explorer as part of updating. This is getting annoying as I'm trying to move away from Internet Explorer all together and use Edge as my secondary browser. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ccleaner, but the problem persists. It seems like for some reason, Ccleaner won't recognize Chrome as my default browser. May someone please help me figure out how to correct this? Thanks!

• Moderators

You may have the re-configure what you want as the default system browser to prevent software from doing this:

1. Go into the browser you don't want opened and untick/disable the box that makes it the system default.

2. Go into the browser you want opened as the system default and tick/enable the box (or click the button) that makes it the system default.

• Moderators

another way to the same end result as suggested by @Andavari is;

click the Start button, click Settings, System, Default apps, scroll down to Web browser, click the current one listed, change it to Chrome (in your case).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Makes sure chrome is set for all of its defaults (htm, html, php, etc)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com