CCleaner Phoning Home?

Bethrezen

hi all

I'm curious why is the latest version of CCleaner attempting to connect to the net when active monitoring and auto update are switched off ?

While this may well be entirely benign given all the stuff that's being going round as of late with exposure of the NSA/GCHQ and there illegal surveillance I tent to be very touchy about applications or indeed anything else that tries to access the net without my permission since I value my privacy and I don't like being spied on.

so I'd like someone to explain to me why CCleaner is trying to connect to the net and what data it's trying send.

I'd also like to know how to put a stop to this phoning home behaviour since I explicitly forbid net access to all applications unless it's for a legitimate purpose like checking for updates and even then auto updates are usually switched off and I'll just check manually

my other question is what is with the horrible GUI changes the GUI was just fine the way it was and I don't know about anyone else but I find the new GUI causes me visual stress I cant look at it for more then an few minutes before my eyes start to hurt.

please put the GUI back the way it was and remove this irritating and undesirable phoning home behaviour

i can natural not speak for piriform but suspect something...
i think that Ccleaner
sends only for statistical purposes data to Piriform (the installation itself with location and the number of uses)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

hi Andavari

I've already done that I also disabled the active monitoring as well but for some reason the latest version of CCleaner still keeps trying to establish a connection to the net without my permission so I'd like some from Piriform to explain them selves and I'd like them to tell me how to put a stop to this unauthorized attempt to phone home every time I start the application because as I've already said I don't like being spied on

if as trium suggests it is just collecting data for statistical purposes that's fine but Piriform should come clean tell users exactly what they are collecting and why and give users the ability to opt out that is the reputable and responsible thing to do doing otherwise can seriously damage there reputation and cause some serious trust issues and as it stands I've already dumped applications from a number of different vendors for acting in this sort of a disreputable and untrustworthy manor and I'd hate to have to do the same here because CCleaner is a good application which I've used for a long time to help protect my privacy.

• Moderators

Maybe someone from Piriform will chime in?

Some people claim it phones home. One thing is the CCleaner.exe file is a signed file with a digital signature/certificate, that in of itself could possibly cause Internet access.

Just speculation on my part however I'd imagine it would do it regularly if for instance the Windows root certificates were outdated - those can be updated via Microsoft Update however.