mouse pointer problem

gtquan

Hi

I hope someone can help me. My computer has developed an annoying problem. Every 7-8 seconds my mouse pointer disappears and reappears in the center of my screen. Started happenning last week. No new hardware installed. I've run an anti-virus program, registry cleanear and anti spyware and not solved the problem. All drivers are updated.

Anyone had this occur - is this some virus or other?

I'm getting to the point where I may reinstall windows.

Pentium IV 3.0

Abit IS7

Logitech Tackman marble

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT

Help! Thanks.

Greg

• Moderators

Possessed Mouse Syndrome! I had a USB Microsoft mouse that would literally do whatever the hell it wanted to on screen.

About the only solution I can think of is updated drivers. They only way I was able to fix allot of my mouse problems was to compact the registry using NTRegOpt, for some reason unknown to me compacting the registry fixed it. I suppose RegCompact.NET would have the same effect since it also compresses the registry.

Edit:

Just thought of something else that "may or may not work":

* Turn off your computer.

* Unplug the mouse, and then plug it back in.

* Start your computer and see if it's still acting up.

I had similar thing happen. The pointer froze wherever it was on the screen. The problem was with the video card. If you have an invidia graphics card you have to roll back the driver to version 78_01.

Eh ..., I think that's certainly not the case for everybody with nVidia based cards. I'm using their latest or near-latest driver, 81.98, having no such mouse problem with my Logitech wireless mouse.

I did have a mouse problem about 5 or 6 months ago when I installed a new hard drive, did a fresh installation of Win XP, and downloaded the latest version of Logitech's SetPoint mouse/keyboard software. My mouse was freezing. I uninstalled that version of SetPoint and installed the older version that came with my mouse. Problem solved.

I figured out the problem so I thought I would share the solution. I ended up reinstalling windows xp. Things worked fine and then after 2 days it started doing it again. Used a system restore and the problem stopped. I started using quicken 2005 and printed out a document and it started doing it again.

My printer (Brother HL1440) will only print out quicken reports if the printer properties is set to "Print directly to printer" in the advanced settings. Well sure enough, as soon as this option is selected the mouse starts misbehaving. The problem goes away when the printer options is set back to "spool print documents...".

Hope this may help someone in the future.

Greg