CCleaner free wiper issue Back-up HD

Hi,

running Ccleaner 5.04 free version and ran today the Drive Wiper option on my back-up harddrive.

Selected  wipe "free space only" , worked (I think...) but now I can't access the drive anymore... :angry:

When I select the drive the system keeps on telling me that the drive is not accessible . Access denied.

Running WIndows 8.1.

When I run the disk analyzer option it still sees all the files via CCleaner, but outside the program the drive in not reachable anymore.

Any help on this please.

Thx

Patrick.

Yes, the device shows in the Device Manager,  started Windows 8.1 in safe mode and then I could access the drive without any problems. So toke a copy just in case... <_<

What seems to be the issue is that when I select the drive and go into the advance settings under the security folder, it shows "ownership unknown".

When I try to assign to "System" what I believe should be the correct option, it fails on a file called IndexerVolumeCuid

Somehow CCleaner messed with the ownership of the device or corrupted the above file.

What's next?

• Moderators

it fails on a file called IndexerVolumeCuid

According to a search I did that seems to be related to System Restore. If you used the 'Tools > System Restore' option in CCleaner to remove a restore point perhaps use the Windows settings to turn-off System Restore for that drive, and then turn it back on.

Edit:

It could be far more than just System Restore - I found this old archived blog post, although not about Win8.1 the first bit of info was informative, and the first two posts as well as it could extend into modern OSes.

It may also help to have Windows run ChkDsk on that drive.

• Moderators

Have a read here (very carefully)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html

Also read a couple of posts at the bottom.

Then read it all again.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi,

tried to take ownership of the devices as explained in the link. Could access the disk via the CMD prompt running as admin. But still couldn't access the drive via the WIndows Explorer, kept on saying that the drive inaccesable.

Removing CCleaner didn't worked either. Ran chkdsk as well with the repair option, it did say that the drive was mounted by another application. (I presume CCleaner but I did removed it) The Chkddsk didn't resolved the issue. 

As I was able to take a copy of the drive, I just did a complete format and copied everything back. This worked.

Although I still have no clue why I lost access to this external hot swappable drive after I rans a wipe free space, this topic can be closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like my issue is related to this thread. After wiping free space on C:, the system no longer recognizes anything on external hard drives. I have 3 external USB drives (2 Seagate and 1 WD). All are used for file storage and none used as backup. They are visible in Disk Management, Windows Explorer and Device Manager (no issues with drives or USB controllers). Partitions are also shown as being Healthy and NTFS file system. Using Win Explorer, it says the volumes are empty. Using Properties, 2 drives show all allocated memory is available. One shows 0 capacity, 0 used space and 0 free space.

I tried formatting one and I get a message that says the disk is write protected. Chkdisk says Windows can't access the disk.

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate with 20Gb RAM and 2 - 1Tb internal drives that are working just fine, a NAS and USB thumb drives work also.

Any help is greatly appreciated.   :wacko:

Update: The drives were not connected when Wipe Free Space was run. Just tried drive on another computer, same result. It appears that something was written to the drives when mounted.

Not so much worried about loss of data but sure would like to use the drives.

• Moderators

Wait so @SuperGator68 based on your update section do you no longer fault ccleaner? If you still need help with your issue (as it relates to ccleaner or other Piriform products) please feel free to start your own thread so as to recieve the best help - every problem is individual and should, until a time another member (a helper) feels that it may relate to another thread, be treated as unique.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com