Hang on Restart - Fix

lutins

Hi again,

I solved the restart hanging problem thus:

1- Downloaded v.126

2- Uninstalled V.127

3- Restarted computer

4- Win XP was now able to restart (with short delay)

5- Removed Ccleaner from Program list in Zone Alarm

6- restarted computer

7- Closed all programs (including Zone Alarm and Avast Anti-virus) in systray

8- Installed Ccleaner v.126

9- Fingers crossed! All seems well.

P.S.: I ran several more tests after posting this message; ran Ccleaner and Issues tasks separately and in concert; re-added Ccleaner.exe to Zone Alarm's Programs List; restarted after each operation; all IS definitely WELL !

My guess is that the problem lies with v. 127.

I posted a possible solution to your problem here. You may want to try that out before resorting to being stuck with an older version. Also, make sure you get either the Basic or Slim version which can be downloaded here. Some anti-virus/spyware apps don't like the Standard Build, not to mention the Standard Build contains the useless Yahoo! Toolbar and takes up more space.

Let me know if this works!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I posted a possible solution to your problem here. You may want to try that out before resorting to being stuck with an older version. Also, make sure you get either the Basic or Slim version which can be downloaded here. Some anti-virus/spyware apps don't like the Standard Build, not to mention the Standard Build contains the useless Yahoo! Toolbar and takes up more space.

Let me know if this works!

Good evening lokoike !

Since I have reinstalled 126 in my neighbor's as well as in my computer this afternoon, and since all is well for now, should I not wait for a "new and improved" 127, complete and resplendent in all its new glory?

I will look forward to your reply and advice.

Thanks

Good evening lokoike !

Since I have reinstalled 126 in my neighbor's as well as in my computer this afternoon, and since all is well for now, should I not wait for a "new and improved" 127, complete and resplendent in all its new glory?

I will look forward to your reply and advice.

Thanks

Well, a newer version probably won't be out for a while (at least a month or so), since v1.27 is practically brand new. Also, CCleaner shouldn't cause any issues with your computer starting up, so if I was you, I would try disabling the option like I suggested previously, because it is very possible that v1.27 will work just fine for you.

Since v1.27 solves some of the problems which 1.26 has, you are better off with having this newer version, as it is more stable and has more features. But once again, make sure you DO NOT download the Standard Build. Get one of the other two listed versions from the link I gave you, as they take less space and don't contain any adware.

Hope this helps you out. :)

ding, ding!

Well, a newer version probably won't be out for a while (at least a month or so), since v1.27 is practically brand new. Also, CCleaner shouldn't cause any issues with your computer starting up, so if I was you, I would try disabling the option like I suggested previously, because it is very possible that v1.27 will work just fine for you.

Since v1.27 solves some of the problems which 1.26 has, you are better off with having this newer version, as it is more stable and has more features. But once again, make sure you DO NOT download the Standard Build. Get one of the other two listed versions from the link I gave you, as they take less space and don't contain any adware.

Hope this helps you out. :)

Well, I wasn't going to say anything (except now I will becase it isn't just me), but CCleaner v1.27 has drastically slowed down the startup process of my computer. Plus, I don't check the option for "Run CCleaner when computer starts" because it makes more sense to run CCleaner before shutting down.

But I don't think that a slower startup is enough of a reason to downgrade. I like the 7 pass file deletion among other things.

I also just assumed that my startup programs cache's were getting cleaned, and therefore making my startup time slower.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I also just assumed that my startup programs cache's were getting cleaned, and therefore making my startup time slower.

Hmm... I suppose that is possible, but nothing of that sort was listed in the Version History, so I would certainly hope that MrG didn't "tweak" it and then not tell us.

If it makes any difference, CCleaner 1.27 Slim hasn't slowed down my shut down, boot, or overall Windows speed in the slightest.

ding, ding!

Hmm... I suppose that is possible, but nothing of that sort was listed in the Version History, so I would certainly hope that MrG didn't "tweak" it and then not tell us.

If it makes any difference, CCleaner 1.27 Slim hasn't slowed down my shut down, boot, or overall Windows speed in the slightest.

I use CCleaner 1.27 Slim. I won't touch that Yahoo stuff, and I never will. ;)

By the way, I have uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times. The cache thing was the only logical explanation that I could come up with, but it may not be true.

BUT...the version history doesn't mention anything about a toolbar so maybe it was introduced in this version without us knowing. (hmmmm)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

BUT...the version history doesn't mention anything about a toolbar so maybe it was introduced in this version without us knowing. (hmmmm)

Sneaky, sneaky... :ph34r:

Yeah, I'm not really sure why it would slow down your computer; that is really a shame. I'll pick my brain on this one, but I can't promise an explanation. :(

ding, ding!

Sneaky, sneaky... :ph34r:

Yeah, I'm not really sure why it would slow down your computer; that is really a shame. I'll pick my brain on this one, but I can't promise an explanation. :(

I'm not expecting an explanation (although it wouldn't hurt). I just accepted it for the greater good of my PC. ;)

Does that put CCleaner in the same category as Norton?

After writing that I realized that I sound like a Norton, etc... user. :o:wacko:

I'm not expecting an explanation (although it wouldn't hurt). I just accepted it for the greater good of my PC. ;)

Does that put CCleaner in the same category as Norton?

After writing that I realized that I sound like a Norton, etc... user. :o:wacko:

Oh, I wouldn't go that far! After all, at least the non-Yahoo! Toolbar version of CC is tiny and uses few resources, unlike its Symantec brethren (I like that word today :D ).

But that is an unusual and very Norton-like performance hit for sure, and it's kind of sad to hear that it is due to our dear CCleaner.

So between your uninstalls of CCleaner, did you notice that this sluggish boot-up disappeared? And then did it immediately return after the reinstallation of CCleaner? How much time would you say CC appears to add to your boot-up?

ding, ding!

Oh, I wouldn't go that far! After all, at least the non-Yahoo! Toolbar version of CC is tiny and uses few resources, unlike its Symantec brethren (I like that word today :D ).

Yea you do, but it's funny. It makes the forum sound religious or something. :lol:

But that is an unusual and very Norton-like performance hit for sure, and it's kind of sad to hear that it is due to our dear CCleaner.

Norton-like performance, but for a different reason than Norton.

So between your uninstalls of CCleaner, did you notice that this sluggish boot-up disappeared?

The sluggish boot-up did disappear so I reinstalled multiple times to be sure that it was/wasn't CCleaner.

And then did it immediately return after the reinstallation of CCleaner?

Yes.

How much time would you say CC appears to add to your boot-up?

One minute...give-or-take a few seconds. (This is added time not total time) Do you want my specs again?

One minute...give-or-take a few seconds. (This is added time not total time) Do you want my specs again?

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! A minute?! That is ridiculous! Something weird is seriously up if it has that kind of effect!

Honestly, I would PM MrG if I was you; hopefully he would look into something that has effects of that magnitude.

ding, ding!

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! A minute?! That is ridiculous! Something weird is seriously up if it has that kind of effect!

I know. :( I've been trying to bear with it. I've considered only installing it when I need to run it, and then uninstalling but I run it everday. Also, I only reboot my comp after updates & installs. Otherwise I usually leave it on. And I for sure always try to leave it on now. I truly think that it's a cache thing.

Honestly, I would PM MrG if I was you; hopefully he would look into something that has effects of that magnitude.

OK, I will. But I'm still waiting for a reply from him from 2 days ago when I PM'd him. We'll see, it could be worse.

<_<

Timed it...50 seconds (additional)

Odd thing though is that it's an additional 50 seconds before, and after running CC. That blows my cache idea to bits.

• Moderators

@krit86lr

I have no ideal if this will work to improve your boottime or not, however it won't take long to perform.

1. If you are using the NTFS file system run ChkDsk on all your hdd's using the command line version with these switches:

chkdsk /v /f c:

the /v option will remove unused indexes.

2. Click Start, Run and paste this line in to Optimize Prefetch Data:

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This process may take anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes, or more to complete, don't use the computer while it's running. When it's finished the hard disk light will stop repeatedly flashing. You should then defragment your main hdd that Windows is installed on immediately after using this!

3. Reboot to see if your boottime has improved.

@krit86lr

I have no ideal if this will work to improve your boottime or not, however it won't take long to perform.

1. If you are using the NTFS file system run ChkDsk on all your hdd's using the command line version with these switches:

chkdsk /v /f c:

the /v option will remove unused indexes.

2. Click Start, Run and paste this line in to Optimize Prefetch Data:

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This process may take anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes, or more to complete, don't use the computer while it's running. When it's finished the hard disk light will stop repeatedly flashing. You should then defragment your main hdd that Windows is installed on immediately after using this!

3. Reboot to see if your boottime has improved.

Hey Andavari, thanks!

You may be onto something because my "System Idle Process" ranges anywhere from "97 CPU - 99 CPU". I've been meaning to look into that, but haven't gotten around to it.

I'll try your suggestion, then start a new thread. This thread totally got hijacked! :blink:

• Moderators

I'll try your suggestion, then start a new thread. This thread totally got hijacked! :blink:

You can always ask rridgely or MrG if they'll split this thread, e.g.; move discussion that's off-topic and doesn't pertain to the original thread into a new one.

You can always ask rridgely or MrG if they'll split this thread, e.g.; move discussion that's off-topic and doesn't pertain to the original thread into a new one.

I PM'd rridgley. I'm still waiting. :P

You may be onto something because my "System Idle Process" ranges anywhere from "97 CPU - 99 CPU". I've been meaning to look into that, but haven't gotten around to it.

System Idle Process is simply a program that monitors how much of your CPU is free, so the higher the number, the better off you are. System Idle Process does not actually use 97-99% of your computer's resources, it simply tells you that you have that much free. Also, it is in no way related to CCleaner; it is part of Windows. So no need to worry about that.

ding, ding!

Should I follow Andavari's suggestions? I did a clean install a week ago (I think it's been a full week).

Should I follow Andavari's suggestions? I did a clean install a week ago (I think it's been a full week).

CHKDSK certainly won't hurt anything, but I doubt it will fix anything for you, since you have already proven CCleaner is your problem. :(

Even if you do reap any benefits, it won't be anything close to a whole minute knocked off your boot time. Actually, defragging might be more beneficial than running a disk scan, assuming you have done quite a bit of installing and recopying files to your fresh new install of Windows.

Run CHKDSK first, just in case your HD has any physical errors. That way, Defrag doesn't try to use any damaged sections of the disk. After you do that, run CCleaner, and then, finish off with a disk defragment, and see if your booting time goes down any. Just don't expect anything too dramatic!

ding, ding!

CHKDSK certainly won't hurt anything, but I doubt it will fix anything for you, since you have already proven CCleaner is your problem. :(

Even if you do reap any benefits, it won't be anything close to a whole minute knocked off your boot time. Actually, defragging might be more beneficial than running a disk scan, assuming you have done quite a bit of installing and recopying files to your fresh new install of Windows.

Run CHKDSK first, just in case your HD has any physical errors. That way, Defrag doesn't try to use any damaged sections of the disk. After you do that, run CCleaner, and then, finish off with a disk defragment, and see if your booting time goes down any. Just don't expect anything too dramatic!

I did defrag recently, and already analyzed again today (just to be sure)...but it doesn't need to be defragged. I'll run the chkdsk now.

Everthing came out clean. 0 errors, and what not. Did the Process Idle Tasks thing. Defragged, and I think that the startup was a little faster but I haven't timed it yet to see by how much (or if at all for that matter).

Rriddgley.....are you going to split this thread? It's completely hijacked! :P Thanks.

• Moderators

Everthing came out clean. 0 errors, and what not. Did the Process Idle Tasks thing. Defragged, and I think that the startup was a little faster but I haven't timed it yet to see by how much (or if at all for that matter).

Like I stated I didn't know if it would help.

Like I stated I didn't know if it would help.

Yeah, I know. I'll time it, and let you know. Thank you. :)