The bird as hatched

englishmen

0.1 has only been out since February 7th this year, and for me looks very promising. I will be keeping a very close eye on this new bird and i suggest you do the same.

Homepage

Features

Wow! That looks beautiful, and has plenty of features too! I think I'm gonna have to bookmark this page. Maybe I'll finally be able to ditch WMP! :D

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I have already ditched Wmp :D and currently using foobar2000. I however have also already bookmarked Songbird homepage and will be watching with eager eyes.

Yeah, Foobar is nice, but it just doesn't seem to meet my needs; I tried it (and still have it) on my primary computer for a little while, and I couldn't find any good reasons why I would want to replace WMP with it. Just a personal preferrence.

But this Songbird definitely has some major potential. Not to mention, I like the mascot. :)

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

It is an open-source cross-platform iTunes-like thingy.

You can use it to play music, and you can use it to buy music from online music stores.

But if you buy music, then you reformat your computer, then maybe you wont be able to enjoy the music you payed for.

I wouldnt ever buy music when its restricted by DRM. The only way to convince me to buy music, is to give it to me under terms that I like. DRM-free high-quality audio files in codec of choice, such as Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, etc.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

I wouldnt ever buy music when its restricted by DRM. The only way to convince me to buy music, is to give it to me under terms that I like. DRM-free high-quality audio files in codec of choice, such as Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, etc.

For Anti-DRMist like us there's Magnatune.com which seems like a saviour at the moment, downloads are in multiple formats; Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, etc., or to just have the CD sent to you at an additional cost, they even let people re-download music they've already purchased.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I downloaded this music bird or whatever its called. It takes forever to load and uses a ton of ram.(It had 50,000k when I checked.) Plus I really dont want any of the other junk that it has. If I wanted all that I would use itunes.

• Moderators

I hope you guys that are alpha or beta testing it are at least reporting any issues you're having to the development team.

No I uninstalled it. :lol:

I dont get the appeal of this program. What exactly is supposed to be different about it?

Well for starters its based on FireFox which means adventualy there hopefully will be endless extensions and themes to expand it to no end.

As i said its based on FireFox i.e. web browser, which means you can listen to pod-casts etc directly with in songbird no need to to browse to it via FireFox.

The developers have a track record of working on and making great apps, hopefully this will be another.

Also its mascot is a bird, how sweet is that.(did i just say that or was i thinking it?)