Looking for software

JDPower

I've been trying to find a couple of of free programs and thought I'd see if anyone here can help.

Firstly I want an ad blocker that works with AOL, ie just like the Firefox Adblock extension, so that I can get rid of Google ads and irritating ad banners.

Also I'm trying to find a free program that helps you write a CV/resume, or some free CV templates somewhere.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated :)

I've been trying to find a couple of of free programs and thought I'd see if anyone here can help.

Firstly I want an ad blocker that works with AOL, ie just like the Firefox Adblock extension, so that I can get rid of Google ads and irritating ad banners.

Also I'm trying to find a free program that helps you write a CV/resume, or some free CV templates somewhere.

I don't know about the AOL Adblocks, but do you have word or Open Office? If you don't have word...Open Office is free. Both have resume templates. If you can't find the templates click help and type resume. It'll guide through the steps.

http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

Have Fun! :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Since krit86lr covered the templates, I do have a suggestion for blocking ads:

Download ZoneAlarm Free; it has a built-in ad-blocker. It will block banner/skyscraper ads, pop-ups/pop-unders, and animations. After installing it, click the Privacy tab on the left, click Custom in the Ad Blocking box, select the Ad Blocking tab from the new window, and check all that apply.

Also makes a great primary software firewall as well. I personally have been using it for close to a year, and I love it!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

@lokoike:isnt that only in the Pro version? i used ZoneAlarm Free one(newest version) and i didnt see an option like that.

Aww, crap! You know what, I think you're right! I just looked at a screenshot of the Free version, and it didn't have the privacy tab, so maybe the Pro version is the only one...

Thanks for catching that. Still, ZA is an excellent firewall, whether Free or Pro. :D

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

Why not use firefox? AOL browser is just a rebranded IE and has all of IE's vulnerabilities.

If for whatever reason you just want to use and IE shell then download avant. It has an add block type feature that seems to work.

I don't know about the AOL Adblocks, but do you have word or Open Office? If you don't have word...Open Office is free. Both have resume templates. If you can't find the templates click help and type resume. It'll guide through the steps.

Yes we've got Open Office but I can't find ANY CV/resume templates. I typed Resume in help and got no results. Can you tell me exactly where I should be looking? (if it makes any difference we're using version 2.0).

I don't really want to change firewall, I use Sygate and am extremely happy with it. I just thought that with Adblock being so popular on Firefox there must be some similar free product that works with AOL but I can't find one (so thought I'd ask you knowledgeable bods ;) ).

RRidgely I do use FF most of the time and think its great but have I've got too many sites in my AOL favourites/bookmarks to transfer over to FF (and as far as I know theres no other way of doing this other than manually), so still need to use AOL sometimes. And I still use AOL for my email and don't particularly want to change my email addy by going over to Thunderbird.

You could always try Proxomitron which works by proxy. Then it wouldn't matter what browser you used as long as you set it up. Also, you could try AdMuncher, although it is not free. It works by hooks rather than proxies. They are both excellent.

Thanks krit, found them now. I was looking in the OO program for the templates not the website :blink: