CCleaner running 24+ hours on one file

IBZFanatic

Hi All,

I'm new to Piriform and CCleaner. I'm very excited about finding this product.

I have downloaded and installed CCleaner (latest trial version downloaded from Piriform) onto my Wife's laptop. I'm am not running Winapp2.ini.

I ran an initial scan which completed in minutes- very happy about that. One folder in particular was not found or cleaned. The same one I have been unsuccessfully trying to clean manually for a few days prior to CClean. The file is:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

This folder contains 26 gigs of temp files (1,655,026- total files). I have added this file to the custom files and folders scan list. I began the scan (analyze) @ 10a.m. central time yesterday (10/2/13)- The scan is still running today 25 hours later. The progress bar has been @ 41% the entire time but I can see each file being discovered one at a time.

Is there a setting I missed in options to make this run faster?

Should this type of time be expected with a folder this large?

Do I stop the scan where it is, or continue to forge on?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or education would be greatly appreciated........ :D :D

Some specs:

Acer Aspire V5

Win 8

4G Ram

Core i3 2365m

intel HD3000 graphics

• Moderators

How did you try to clean this file manually?

Were you not able to do it because you couldn't find it? Did you get an error message?

Did you try this method?

http://windows.micro...eanup=windows-8

another explanation here

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/how-to-run-disk-cleanup-in-windows-8/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

And try: Control Panel>Internet Options>General Tab>Browsing history>Delete hot button.

On the Delete Browsing History page, check mark or uncheck what you want the delete action to do or not do and then click on Delete. As suggestion:

Uncheck "Preserve Favorites website data"

Check "Temporary Internet files and website files"

Check "Cookies and website data"

Check "History"

The last three items are at your choice.

Repeat/Do this for every user account on the laptop. In other words sign on under each user account and perform the above.

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC and Dell XPS 16 9640 Laptop.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

How did you try to clean this file manually?

Were you not able to do it because you couldn't find it? Did you get an error message?

Did you try this method?

http://windows.micro...eanup=windows-8

another explanation here

http://helpdeskgeek....p-in-windows-8/

Thank you for your reply Hazelnut!!

Windows disk cleanup will not recognize (or include) this folder in it's search. I assume this is because it's typically a hidden folder.

My attempt to manually remove the files was done by:

opening the parent folder (Content.ie5),

waiting for the computer to discover all of the files

Select all files then delete selected items..........This resulted in explorer not responding....... then a hard lock

I then tried to delete in batches of files with the same results. I continued with smaller and smaller batches until I found the trying to delete just one file would result in the same outcome.

With some research, I found that these massive IE5 temp folders are related to IE10. I disabled IE10 hoping that would help (files not in use?).....it did not help.

And try: Control Panel>Internet Options>General Tab>Browsing history>Delete hot button.

On the Delete Browsing History page, check mark or uncheck what you want the delete action to do or not do and then click on Delete. As suggestion:

Uncheck "Preserve Favorites website data"

Check "Temporary Internet files and website files"

Check "Cookies and website data"

Check "History"

The last three items are at your choice.

Repeat/Do this for every user account on the laptop. In other words sign on under each user account and perform the above.

Thank you also siliconman01.... I appreciate the help very much

I have been successful deleting all of the temp internet files from her user account (her's is the only account)- this was just prior to attempting to remove this folders contents.

The folder in question is a secondary temp internet files folder that is in the Windows/system32 directory. I believe the same is true for the Windows sysWOW directory, but I can't confirm that at the time.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and deleting manually?

Or make another admin account (you can delete it afterwards) and boot into it and try and delete them.

Thank you again Hazelnut....... :)

I have tried deleting from safe mode with the same results, but I haven't tried from another admin account. I will try that now and report back.

Thank you again so much

Ryc

I find this "Take Ownership" context switch quite helpful in cases such as what you are experiencing.

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

IE10 settings such as in the attached picture will prevent such buildups of junk files for IE10

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC and Dell XPS 16 9640 Laptop.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• Moderators

Due to the amount of Temporary Internet Files mentioned in post #1 it doesn't surprise me at all that it's taking literally forever and that CCleaner seems frozen/stalled since even cleaning that amount with Internet Explorer's own built-in cleaners would seem to be doing nothing as well. Also it isn't "one file" it's a special folder that contains Internet related files.

If it were me - I'd boot with a Bart PE boot CD and nuke that folder from it since it's completely outside of Windows and therefore you won't have to deal with any locked files, etc., although it will still take a good chunk of time to delete the contents.

Once that folder is cleaned out one Internet Explorer setting needs changed so that it never gets so far out of hand again, and that is to limit the amount that can be stored in Temporary Internet Files (as already mentioned in post #8):

c3faddfdb01a.png