Persistent Cookie

PeeVee

Sorry for the delay folks, but I can now PROVE that the latest update version is what has caused this issue.

I got an old PC out of mothballs and loaded CCleaner v4.04.4197. All cookies were removed using CCleaner.

I then installed the latest version v4.05.4250 and sure enough the macromedia. com cookie reappeared and was NOT removed by cleaning.

Please see attached screen snippet which shows the relevant details.

I am now 100% certain the fault lies somewhere in the latest version update and the ball is in Piriforms court for a fix.

post-67323-0-40478700-1379095497_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Try opening this folder location (copy it exactly has I've listed it) via Start->Run:

%appdata%\Macromedia

If any files exist in there you need to enable/tick in CCleaner:

Applications (tab)->Multimedia->Adobe Flash Player

If that doesn't work perhaps try this winapp2.ini cleaner (assuming you have the non-Internet Explorer version installed):

[Adobe Flash Player (Non-IE)*]
LangSecRef=3023
Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin
Default=True
FileKey1=%AppData%\Adobe\Flash Player|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player|*.*|RECURSE

Edited by Andavari
put some stuff in code

I would have to agree with PeeVee on this one I also have this problem. Older builds of ccleaner show all cookies as being removed but the latest version shows the exact same cookie persisting.

Many thanks render. I was beginning to wonder! :D

Seriously though, I have proved (to you and myself at least) the fault lies with some change in the last update of CCleaner.

I'm not doing anything until Piriform look into this themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi once again.

I have just downloaded and installed the latest version of Ccleaner (v4.06.4324 (64bit)) and the problem with the persistent macromedia.com cookie HASN'T been resolved!

See attached screen snippet.

post-67323-0-08921200-1380207276_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

In case there is a remote possibility of anyone at Piriform actually giving a damn... this issue HAS STILL NOT BEEN FIXED.

There have been TWO newer versions released since I reported this problem and neither has addressed the issue or rectified it. :angry:

Firstly, remove it from "Keep" folder.

Step two: you should exit all macromedia products and internet browsers. Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to see if something is running that should be off.

Now, use CCleaner to clean-up cookies. It should work now.

Otherwise, use Auslogics Browser Care, it's freeware: http://www.auslogics...e/browser-care/

P.S. You can try cleaning in Safe Mode of your OS.

Firstly, remove it from "Keep" folder.

Step two: you should exit all macromedia products and internet browsers. Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to see if something is running that should be off.

Now, use CCleaner to clean-up cookies. It should work now.

Otherwise, use Auslogics Browser Care, it's freeware: http://www.auslogics...e/browser-care/

P.S. You can try cleaning in Safe Mode of your OS.

Hi enthusiast_385.

Thanks for your reply.

Re: Your suggestions...

The persistent "macromedia.com" cookie does NOT appear in the "Cookies to Keep" list, and it never has. It only appears in the "Cookies to Delete" list.

When I run Ccleaner it just keeps re-appearing in this list, as it is NOT being deleted.

At the times I run Ccleaner there are NO other things shown in Task Manager.

My original posting shows a couple of screen snippets which are pretty self-explanatory.

Ever since a programme update with a new version of Ccleaner (a couple of versions ago now) this started happening on all my PCs, which use different operating systems. I am not the only person who has noticed this.

I have proved conclusively that the fault lies in some unknown change in the way Ccleaner works, which occured in a programme update.

• Moderators

When I had the same macromedia.com cookie that couldn't be deleted a month or two ago I used that winapp2.ini entry I posted several posts up here, and it got rid of the cookie. Note that anything in those "Adobe" and "Macromedia" paths listed in that post can also be manually deleted.

Edited by Andavari

Good grief. Just run the older version.

When the developers get it fixed, then run that version. They're free. <_<

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

@peevee

Be aware that an 'annoying' problem will be far down the list of things to fix than an actually bug that hinders the programs functionality.

Also factor in that equation the number of people reporting that annoyance.

I'm sure it's on their list, just not critical enough to fix with the next version release.

Patience GrassHopper !

@e_385

careful mentioning other software and providing links. it's probably OK as it doesn't seem to be in direct competition with CC, but it can be a grey area.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I still wondering the exact location of this file. Is it, by chance, the main flash settings (settings.sol) for chrome's flash? Try to manually remove (via moving it to another location)

Edit:

From community winapp2.ini file

[FlashPlayer Settings*] LangSecRef=3029 SpecialDetect=DET_CHROME Default=False FileKey1=%LocalAppData%Chrome PlusUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE FileKey2=%LocalAppData%ChromiumUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE FileKey3=%LocalAppData%FlockUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE FileKey4=%LocalAppData%GoogleChromeUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE FileKey5=%LocalAppData%GoogleChrome SxSUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE FileKey6=%LocalAppData%RockmeltUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE FileKey7=%LocalAppData%SRWare IronUser Data*Pepper DataShockwave FlashWritableRootmacromedia.com|*.*|RECURSE

[Adobe Flash Player] ID=2055 LangSecRef=3023 Detect=HKCRCLSID{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} Detect2=HKCUSoftwareMacromediaFlashPlayer DetectFile=%SystemDirectory%Macromedflashflashplayer.xpt Default=True SpecialKey1=N_FLASH_COOKIES

In that folder will be settings.sol

The other option is to:

Do your normal clean

paste that into a file called winapp1.ini (in your ccleaner folder)

Press F5 (this should refresh the ccleaner apps list if not exit ccleaner and reopen ccleaner)

Your applications tab should now only list the above items

do an analysis

Right click the results

paste the result to this thread (preferably in code tags or as a txt file attachment)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 5 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS #2

I have had the same challenge since I installed 4.07.  The only way I could delete not just 1 but sometimes 3, 10, 14 persistent cookies was to go into my Google Chrome settings and delete history for the past week.  Most irksome!

However, reading PeeVees comment above, I went ahead and downloaded version 4.08.4428, and VOILÀ! .... persistent cookies disappear!

Thank you!