Persistent Cookie

PeeVee

Try unticking Adobe Flash Player/Macromedia Flash in the CCleaner applications list.

Hi hazelnut,

Thanks, I tried that and it makes no difference, whether the box is ticked or not the cookie returns!

Looks like it's both a chrome and a flash cookie. Do you have cookies selected under both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer? If not, try that.

Hi Winapp2.ini

Thanks, I have cookies selected under Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Just in case it is relevant, this only started happening after the last CCleaner update. It removed everything prior to that.

I still have this problem (as per original posting), but have NOT received a reply that fixes this issue.

Can I assume Piriform moderators do not read these postings?

Is it the case that Piriform CCleaner doesn't remove persistent cookies?

Can SOMEONE PLEASE let me know?

• Moderators

I think that you have a rather elevated opinion of the moderators' skills. We don't know the answer to everything, and you've already had one helpful post from one moderator, and equally helpful responses from other forum members.

This is a free support forum, and whether you get an answer or not is in the lap of the Gods. We're just human, so we might get rather miffed at being berated.

I don't have this cookie, but I would check the date to see if it's constantly being recreated (you said it returns), or revert to a previous CC version if it's so annoying.

• Moderators

You can assume that if something is posted, it gets read.

Mods, Admins, Members and even the Dev Team see all posts.

Also assume that if someone has an idea and replies that they are freely offering their best suggestion, either based on personal experience or a logical guess.

Feel free to try (or not) the offered ideas and post back your outcome - good or bad and if other members can help then rest assured they will.

Do not assume a lack of reply is a lack of concern - it is merely a lack of any helpful suggestion for the time being.

It is also a fair assumption that not all members check into the forum on a regular basis, so the one person who may have your answer just hasn't seen your post yet.

In the meantime, why not go back to the previous version you know did work and worst case if it is a bug, await the next release.

Sorry Augeas, looks like you ninja'd me while I was typing.

Edited by mta

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I think that you have a rather elevated opinion of the moderators' skills. We don't know the answer to everything, and you've already had one helpful post from one moderator, and equally helpful responses from other forum members.

This is a free support forum, and whether you get an answer or not is in the lap of the Gods. We're just human, so we might get rather miffed at being berated.

I don't have this cookie, but I would check the date to see if it's constantly being recreated (you said it returns), or revert to a previous CC version if it's so annoying.

Steady Augeas,

I wasn't having a go at anyone.

I'm new to this particular forum and I assumed Moderators or Piriform Support staff monitored the postings.

When I responded to the 2 replies I had received I was grateful and polite (I thought).

I made my last post (prior to this one) as I thought it was regarded as "Closed", which it isn't, that's all.

No need to get stroppy.

Firstly, I thought Piriform would have wanted to know that the last update had caused this sudden appearance of what I'm calling a "persistent cookie" and that it wasn't being removed successfully.

Secondly, I was hoping to get some assistance getting rid of it.

You can assume that if something is posted, it gets read.

Mods, Admins, Members and even the Dev Team see all posts.

Also assume that if someone has an idea and replies that they are freely offering their best suggestion, either based on personal experience or a logical guess.

Feel free to try (or not) the offered ideas and post back your outcome - good or bad and if other members can help then rest assured they will.

Do not assume a lack of reply is a lack of concern - it is merely a lack of any helpful suggestion for the time being.

It is also a fair assumption that not all members check into the forum on a regular basis, so the one person who may have your answer just hasn't seen your post yet.

In the meantime, why not go back to the previous version you know did work and worst case if it is a bug, await the next release.

Thank you mta.

I did (immediately) follow BOTH the recommended suggestions that I had - from hazelnut and Winapp2.ini.

As soon as I found they didn't solve the problem I reported back to let them know.

I don't know HOW to go back to the previous version, which you have suggested. When I do I will try that.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Not always needed but the safest way to go back is to first uninstall the current version.

Download one of the previous ones.

(Personally I would do a reboot at this point, sucks I know, but, to be sure, to be sure)

Then double click the save download previous version at POW, good to go.

Not always needed but the safest way to go back is to first uninstall the current version.

Download one of the previous ones.

(Personally I would do a reboot at this point, sucks I know, but, to be sure, to be sure)

Then double click the save download previous version at POW, good to go.

All noted thanks. Excuse my ignorance you said "... download previous version at POW". What is POW ?

• Moderators

Bugger, sorry I'm typing on an iPad mini and my usual typo rate is higher than usual.

That was suppose to say, download previous version AND pow, good to go.

(miss one little character and the whole meaning changes). ;)

Bugger, sorry I'm typing on an iPad mini and my usual typo rate is higher than usual.

That was suppose to say, download previous version AND pow, good to go.

(miss one little character and the whole meaning changes). ;)

OK, thanks. I have the same problem on my laptop! :lol:

Going by what Winapp2.ini posted in post #4, if you have Google Chrome installed it uses it's own build of Flash, so you may have to go digging through your Google Chrome profile sub-folders to find it and delete it.

Thanks Andavari.

I don't think that will be necessary as I didn't have any problem with Google Chrome or CCleaner previously. It's only since the last CCleaner update that this problem has occurred, but thanks for the suggestion though.

If you look around the forums there's allot of posts about people having cookie problems for the past few versions of CCleaner. So maybe it's something that will eventually get remedied in a newer version.

Yes thanks Andavari.

It could be, as I suspected as much before I posted my issue.

Normally I find CCleaner pretty trouble free.

At the moment I'm holding off doing anything too radical.

With luck the next routine update might clean up the problem (wishful thinking?). :lol:

Try running an older version of CCleaner (portable) against the newer one and save the output. You can upload them here or compare/contrast them yourself and spot the difference, I'm sure it'd help the developers correct this assuming this is a ccleaner bug (something may have changed in the cookie removal bit of Chrome and gotten borked)

I have what may be useful additional information about this problem.

I have EXACTLY the same problem on 3 of my PCs.

One PC is Windows XP, one is Vista and the other is Windows 7.

Using my lay person's logic this indicates the fault does not lie with something I have done (or not done), and would suggest the fault is with CCleaner.

All 3 PCs were working fine before the current latest CCleaner update, and since the update ALL THREE O.S.'s have the same issue:

Macromedia.com cookie is NOT removed after cleaning by CCleaner v4.05.4250.

Based on this, I have put a hold on making ANY changes to any of my PCs in order to attempt a "fix" until Piriform investigate this issue and provide an update to fix this.

If you read my above post again, I'm sure you'll find that providing information would potentially be very helpful in resolving this issue. As you said, it is likely a ccleaner fault.

Yes, thanks Winapp2.ini I did read your post. I'm still trying to work my way through things on all my PCs to see if I can provide more information.

I am not familiar with the "portable" version you refer to?

I had intended replying to your post in the morning as it is now 01:40 a.m. in UK.