problem while backing up file C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry

patekatek

Hi, Piriform forum techies.

I get the following message when running system backups on my Win 7 system. I am using Windows backup and quite some time ago I uninstalled cc cleaner to try another registry cleaner. Now I cannot get rid of the following error when running backups:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

I would sure appreciate it if someone has a "fix" for this issue. I have not tried to re-install CC Cleaner yet.

Thanks!

• Moderators

since you aren't using CC anymore, those backed up reg files will be old/useless.

why not make a Restore Point now to 'snapshot' the Registry, then delete your backup folder.

(i suspect the physical removal of this folder will also cause you grief)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hazelnut and MTA,

I have no CC folders or files on my computer. I had removed all references to CC Cleaner with the uninstall. I also deleted the remaining reg backups that I had created when I ran the cleaner. I just downloaded CC Cleaner again and ran the Reg cleaner after creating a backup. I created a system restore point and ran the system backup again. I again got the following error: Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Why is the dang backup process looking for this file? I am at wits end and will probably just live with it. I'm computer illiterate enough to harm my cpu by trying some of the complicated file altering options.

Thanks for your suggestions and if you can think of something, let me know.

• Moderators

just to clarify.

i initially thought the Win7 Backup process was what you were referring to, but upon reading your latest post, I'm now thinking it's the CC backup it does of your reg files.

can you please confirm which?

if it's the Win7 backup program as i initially suspected, does it skip your CC Cleaner Backup Registry folder and continue regardless?

have you set up WIn7 Backup to Let Windows Choose or Let Me Choose. if the later, you can untick that folder from being included in the backups.

this would be why the "dang backup process is looking for the file".

was the link Hazel supplied any help? (to strip it back to basics, it simply suggests you can ignore the error)

did you get any where trying to delete the folder?

Hazelnut, Yes, I did read the link. My error does not indicate a "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\<folder Name>. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))" nor a C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\LocalLow. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)) situation. I have to find some way to stop the backup process from trying to back up a file that does not exist.

MTA, I have tried letting windows decide as well as letting me select which files to backup. I expanded and looked at every file I could and cannot find any file even remotely resembling C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry. I even went so far as to check "regedit" hex key files for anything related to CC Cleaner and cannot find anything.

However, I just successfully completed a backup by not backing up ANY data libraries. Just backed up the Local Disk © and without any errors.

When I get time I will try to run a backup and include a single data library at a time to see which one, if any, may cause the error I have been getting.

• Moderators

well, if nothing else, at least you have your data backed up.

i would suggest the Let Me Choose path, and manually specify everything you want backed up.

i never let something else decide what i want backed up. at least that way, come Restoration Day, there will only be me to blame if something is missed.

after the Let Me choose screen, the next ones allow you to tick what you want included, obviously you pick the Docs, Pics, Music etc folders, but also don't forget to find your Contacts, email store, signatures, stationary, desktop, templates folders.

so it now sounds like you can see the folder in Windows Explorer but not in MS Backup - is this correct?

if you can't see it any where, do you have the folder option on to show hidden files, folders and drives?

• Moderators

what is "C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry"? also this does not actually seem to be a ccleaner issue;with your permission I'd like to move it to software board.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Nergal, The "C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry" is the question of the day and why I posted my issue on this forum. You can move this post to another forum if you wish, or simply close it. The problem is above my limited computer knowledge and it may be in everyone's best interest if I simply take my laptop to a professional and let him/her figure it out. I was hoping for an "Oh, yeah, this is what you have to do" answer.

MTA, Alas, there is still no C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry file anywhere on my system. That is, no file that I can find by doing a system wide search for the file.

• Moderators

by your self-acclaimed 'lack of knowledge', it could be as simple as your missing folder is hidden, and that solution is easy to fix.

but if you want to take it to someone, that would probably be the quickest solution.

if you would still like to plug away at this, myself or any other forum member will always be here.... good luck.

• Moderators
simply take my laptop to a professional

no worries some of us are those professionals, and here we're free (and often nicer ;) )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

OOOppps! Perhaps a Freudian slip on my part. I certainly did not want to indicate that you fine people who tried to help be are not professionals. If I insulted anyone, I'm sorry. I just meant that I may end up taking my laptop to a local shop and let someone proficient work on the technical issues.

I really do appreciate any and all suggestions you have provided here. I can understand trying to blindly fix a problem that is reported here. Nothing like having the real McCoy in your hands so you can see first hand what the problems or issues are.

MTA before I take my laptop in, I just might explore that 'hidden file' perspective some more.

• Moderators

I get the impression you are saying that you have no knowledge of yourself putting a ccleaner reg backup in this location....... C:\CC Cleaner Backup Registry.

Have you had it in to a computer repair shop before?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

. . .

MTA before I take my laptop in, I just might explore that 'hidden file' perspective some more.

Well, before you spend any money, let the members & moderators here help as much as they can. All are volunteers, well versed in windows glitches, and willing to help even for problems unrelated to Ccleaner. Some are pros, some not, but all are careful with your issue.

My two cents worth, and I'm outta here. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I have just tried the Portable version Piriform's Defraggler version 11, and I guess version 12 will have this same ability - it will show you hidden and inaccessible files.

It will even show me the file "Chkdsk20110414213419.log" on the totally inaccessible and hidden path D:\System Volume Information\Chkdsk\

If there is a CCleaner registry backup it will have an extension REG.

There is NO need to Defrag - or even to Analyze.

Instead click on the TAB marched Search

Tick the box against "Filename Contains:" and enter the word *.REG

Tick the box "Include non-fragmented files"

Then click the button "Search"

and then an Analyze will happen after which every *.REG file will be shown.

You can click on the header above the paths to sort the files into path order.

and then look through the paths to see if any path includes something that looks like "Cleaner Backup Registry"

• Moderators

OOOppps! Perhaps a Freudian slip on my part. I certainly did not want to indicate that you fine people who tried to help be are not professionals. If I insulted anyone, I'm sorry. I just meant that I may end up taking my laptop to a local shop and let someone proficient work on the technical issues.

Don't be stupid - never even crossed my mind. :)

i'm sure Nergal and definitely for me, were just saying that your point to take it in to someone was a valid option albeit a potentially expensive one.